9: Red Onions

Chapter Nine: Red Onions

"Excuse me?"

"I swear I was going to return it".

"Return what? Are you alright? We are here for-"

"I have the book with me. I will return it after I renew my library membership card. Please don't arrest me for this! I swear I didn't steal the books", Few months ago I borrowed a few books from my local library but I never got my head around to returning them. I always thought they are going to come to get me. But sending the cops, that's a bit too extreme.

"Listen kid you have misunderstood us. We are here for Leonardo Arsen".

I was relieved for a moment that I wasn't going to end up in jail. But I did make a mental note to return those books to the library. I can't let that haunt me forever. But wait, what did that delinquent do this time?

"Right here sheriff", speaking of the devil, Leo sauntered towards us greeting the cops in a mock salute. They instantly looked annoyed to see him. There were two of them. One of them was older and the other was young maybe in his early twenties. "You stay here while I talk with this boy", the older cop ordered the other guy.

He nodded while the older one entered our house closing the door behind him. He helped himself by sitting on the sofa while Leo and I sat opposite to him. Leo decided to made himself too comfortable by placing his legs on the coffee table. The sheriff narrowed his eyes at him, Leo seemed to be enjoying his reaction, a triumph smirk played on his lips.

"So sheriff what's up?" Leo asked.

"You finally found a place to live after getting kicked out".

"Yup but dollface here isn't too pleased with it", he said addressing me with a smug look on his face. "By the way Em this is Sheriff Flinch and Sheriff this is Emma"

He nodded at me, "Make sure you return your library books on time Emma", he smiled at me. He wasn't actually that intimidating at all.

"So have you been doing your community service at the pizzeria?"

"Yup".

"But Carlos did report me you guys still tend to trouble him. A lot. If you don't stop that young man, we might need to extend your hours including Josh and Derek's".

"Okay calm down. We just locked him up in the freezer once. It was by accident".

"How can you accidentally lock up someone in the freezer?" I asked exasperated.

"Well Derek and I were trying to lock up Josh there but it ended up being Carlo".

These guys are impossible. Poor Carlo has to go through so many troubles for these delinquents. Handling three of them is quite a stress. Given living with one is driving me crazy.

"So Sheriff are you here to check up on me?"

"Yes. So far you have a clean record but you have a lot more hours to cover", he said. "Your father-".

Suddenly Leo stood up his usual demeanor gone, he looked livid, he definitely didn't like talking about his father. "Don't Sheriff- He isn't my father. Emma will let you out", he walked away not giving him any chance to talk.

Mr. Flinch just signed shaking his head in disapproval. "This boy will never learn", he showed himself out. "Just take care of him okay? He's a good kid but sometimes he tends to go off track", I nodded at him, he headed towards his car where the other cop was waiting for him.

Closing the door, I went upstairs to see how Leo was doing, his door was ajar. He was lying on his bed, his face buried into the pillow. I let him be, for he needed space, maybe I can talk about it later.