Roses

Cinderella fell in line with other young women in her uniform and kept her head low as they swept down a corridor, listening to one of the housekeepers as she dictated the daily chores that would be expected of them.

Mostly it was continued preparations for the third and final ball and seeing to it that all guests were catered to.

"Remember ladies! It is imperative that everything is ready for the arrival of our last guest. As soon as Princess Daphne arrives, she shall be escorted to her rooms. Her Royal Father demands she that she be kept away from others until the ball, she is of a sickly countenance at this time and if she so much as coughs out of turn, we will hear about it."

"Yes Madam," the girls all chorused.

"Jane, I trust all the preparations at completed for the lavenders we ordered."

"In the process, Madam," Jane said, "The delivery only just arrived."

"Well hurry up, if the princess likes lavender so much, make sure she won't run out."

"Yes Madam."

"Along with that— Ah, look sharp ladies."

In a heartbeat, the maids suddenly stepped to the side and lined up with the backs to the wall, Cinderella almost falling over her feet to keep up with them, looking up in confusion.

The housekeeper curtsied low to a young man with dark, dark brown hair as he passed with another young blonde man and a brunette lady.

"Your Highness," the housekeeper said, bowing her head but the young prince didn't appear to notice her as he laughed at one of his companions.

In turn every one of the maids curtsied low as the prince passed, each bowing their heads but he didn't notice them, chatting animatedly as the trio walked on. The maids were still for a moment longer, then as one they all stepped away from the wall and went on their way.

Cinderella glanced over her shoulder at the prince who was now ignoring some male servants as they bowed.

Was it truly in the habits of the upper classes to simply ignore those who served them? She had such vivid memories of her parents interacting with their servants when they'd still had a house full of them. They had never blanked their existence. She had always assumed Lady Constantia blanked her existence because she did not like Cinderella but... well clearly there was more to that.

She looked forwards again, frowning and found the girl in front of her looking back over her shoulder at Cinderella.

She smiled when Cinderella looked up and shifted so she fell into line with her.

"Are you new?" she whispered.

"I—" Cinderella started, panicked, before quickly nodding, "My first day."

"Ah, well don't worry; I'm sure the Madam won't be too strict on you." She held out a hand. "Lucy."

"Nice to meet you," Cinderella said, taking her hand, "I'm a bit overwhelmed already. I've already been given letters to hand over to whoever handles them and I have no idea where to go."

Lucy looked at her in confusion, with a small sympathetic smile. "Someone just gave you letters? Who are they for?"

Cinderella drew out the letters and held them up.

Lucy leant forwards and almost stopped in her tracks. Slowly, she took them, staring at the names.

"These must be very personal," she muttered, looking up, "I wouldn't keep them on you for long."