28: destruction

I thought best-friend breakups were painful. But you know what's worse? Best friends getting into relationships when you're far from it. Nothing in the world levels that kind of pain. The one person you can talk to about it is the one person it is about. If being single isn't bad enough, you're expected to witness a continuously gut-wrenching amount of lovey-doveyness and pain-striking details of how the couple's world is full of hearts and flowers. 

It doesn't help that I've grown precariously numb to emotions of any kind. Disgust, however, could be the first feeling to break free from my emotional paralysis. At least then I might appreciate Sam and Grayson for their unapologetic cringe. 

"All you sixteen students will be divided into four teams of four." Freya Piper, assistant teacher and coordinator of the Senior Year continues her scripted read of instructions. "Each team will be allotted a captain--one who is a volunteer from Ravenford Academy to guide you through your tasks. The BootCamp will be conducted by one Super Captain and his Skips." She follows with a controlled smile. "If you students have glanced at the itinerary that was sent to your emails, you would've understood the scheduling of this ten-day BootCamp. But since none of you have, you're going to have to sit for another ten minutes while I break it down for you." Her pretty grey eyes turn into charcoal. "So much like kindergarten kids." 

"You sent the email ten minutes before abruptly summoning us after school hours." Sadie must have meant for only her and her group of boy toys sitting around her to hear, but the entire class did. 

Miss Freya's charcoal eyes turn into a full-fledged glare. "You think this is unfair, Miss Harper? Then I assure you, you'll have the time of your life at the BootCamp." 

It wasn't the words, it was the peel of laughter that escaped Freya Piper's mouth that felt like a slap of insult. Clearly, she didn't like us the way our headmistress did, which is also why the Barcross Academy would never elect her to fill our reigning dean's shoes. 

"Anyway, the BootCamp is going to be training for your scholarship exam to get into the renowned film school of Santa Monica, Ravenford. Your stay will be in a privately owned Redwood campus on the outskirts of San Fransisco. You will attend theory classes in the morning, then later do the practical application of those classes in the form of activities, games, and challenges, and by evening, the result of each group will be presented in front of everyone to judge. The group with maximum points by the end of ten days will receive extra credits in the final paper." 

"And we cannot choose our groups?" Jayden interrupts Miss Ice Queen's flow of the script. 

Freya jeers at him. "No, you cannot. Captains make the groups so make sure you're cordial and well-behaved with them." Sighing again, she continues. "The activities will revolve around the different aspects of filmmaking. Scripts, setting, scenarios, cinematography, music, art, culture, editing, and personality grooming like IQ, genre exploration, spontaneity, physical endurance, and public speaking. You will be trained in all these aspects, much like one gets prepped in a military camp. Be ready to bleed, sweat, and kill your fellow aspirants because this sure is a one-way ticket to having an elite life." 

Freya Piper may be pompous and derogatory, but she knew how to plant a goal in young minds. With the zeal to bag the scholarship, I walk out of the school with my hands tightly wrapped around the strap of my bag hanging from my shoulder. 

This after-school meeting for students going to San Fransisco was a detour from what my best friend had planned for the day. She wanted me to spend time with her and her boyfriend so he and I can get to know each other better. Now, as unfitting as the idea sounds, I get it. How much more can that guy who rooted for my demise for over five years actually get to know me?