chapter seventeen ; different

The two took a private plane, and the entire endeavour was completely risky. It had Misaki's heart racing with each step she took with Yuzuru by her side. She had just gotten herself into a tabloid whirlwind, the last thing she needed now was a sudden paparazzi frenzy following her in Canada.

Yuzuru kept her close, hiding both their faces in hoodies amongst people, wearing masks and trying to blend in. He led her into the car, and they went to his apartment.

Once they were in the clear, she was at ease and finally looked over at him.

"I can't believe I'm here." She said, a small smile on her face.

"Are you upset?" He asked, and she immediately shook her head, "I'm glad. I'm glad I'm here to get away."

Yuzuru lives in an apartment not far from the ice rink where he trains, and once they were in the elevator, she laughed lightly.

"I always thought you were the type to live in a family home, possibly with a maid or two and your girlfriend waiting for you at home." She said.

"Don't get me wrong, I have that house too. Not far from here. I bought this house so I can have a private place for myself. My family home is just a few miles away." He explained, "Minus the maids and girlfriend part."

His statement made her laugh, and once they arrived at his front door, he opened it to reveal a neat and tidy house that didn't seem as if it belonged to a single man who was never at home at all. It was completely in composition, beautifully designed with simple interior, and light came through the windows hitting the mosaic chandelier.

"It's such a beautiful house." She said.

"You can stay here for as long as you like." He said, "I'm always nearby the ice rink, if you need anything while I'm not here."

She noticed how Yuzuru was always so kind to her, and he always had this smile whenever he looked at her. 

"Yuzuru." She called for him while he was placing his things by the door of his bedroom.

He came to her andA  she placed her arms around him, hugging him gently but filled with care.

"Thank you so much." She said, "Somehow, you're always there to rescue me at that alleyway."

He looked at her in the eyes, and they had those specific moments where the world didn't matter - where he wasn't an Olympic gold medalist and she wasn't a world class model. They were just two kids, who were each other's first loves, and are now trying hard to make it work.

He leaned in to kiss her, this time she was sober and not under any influence other than lack of sleep, and as they were about to lock lips, the front door came blasting open.

"YUZURU!!!!!" A puppy-eyed man came stumbling in, interrupting what could have been the stepping stone into their relationship.

"Javi!!" Yuzuru greeted with less joy and excitement than his friend, since the moment he should have had got ruined. The two hugged and Javier noticed the young woman in the room.

"Yuzuru, who's this?" He asked.

"This is Misaki." He spoke in English.

"The Misaki?" He questioned. Yuzuru suddenly turned red, as Misaki was suddenly classified as a certain someone he had mentioned in the past.

"Hi, I'm Misaki. Pleasure to meet you." She greeted Javier.

"Javier Fernandez. But everyone calls me Javi." He said, "So, will you be staying in Toronto for a while?"

"I'm not so sure yet. I'm pretty sure I'll be taking a break for a while so I guess so." She explained.

"Well, I hope to see you around. I'm going to go now. I just came to check if you were home yet. Welcome back, Yuzu." He said as he left.

Once the door was closed, Yuzuru looked over at Misaki, who was smiling brightly for the first time since they got here.

"He's my best friend, what can we do?" He said, amused, and the two sat on the sofa together, tired and clearly jet-lagged.

"Are you hungry?" She asked, "I can make dinner since we're both kind of tired but we can't sleep yet."

"Sure. I'll help you." He said.

Before they went to the kitchen, the two freshened up in their separate rooms, Misaki looking in the mirror, making sure she looked alright and once she was sure, she headed to the kitchen where Yuzuru was putting out the ingredients from the fridge.

"What do you feel like having?" She asked.

"How about we make some pasta?" He suggested.

"Good idea."

The two began making the sauce as the noodle softened, and Misaki suddenly spoke as she admitted, "Toronto sure is different."

"How so?"

"It's my first time not being watched by anybody when I'm somewhere, it's the first time I can simply be able to look tired when I'm tired and not have to pretend, I can cook with my face bare and I can actually go back to my high school days where I can have fun and cook with the person I like." She said, and Yuzuru looked at her as she smiled her genuine smile, he realised he had waited too long to miss this chance now.

Holding her in his arms and not thinking twice, he placed his lips upon hers and Misaki was surprised, but she didn't pull away. He could feel her smile in the kiss, and the two pulled away after a while, smiling at each other and lightly laughing.

"I can't tell you how long I've wanted to do that." He stated.

Misaki chuckled, as she placed a hand on Yuzuru's cheek, smiling at him, and kissing him gently on the lips once more.

"I'm glad you did it."