Chapter XX: Breaking the News

《A/n: photograph was taken by me :'3 》

You stared at yourself in the mirror above your wardrobe. Your own eyes reflected the bits of sadness you still held.

You took a worried glance to the notebook, journal, and broken pencil on your nightstand. Your face was blank, looking once more to your reflection before staring at the items.

Other than the scars and bracelet, you hadn't taken anything else with you out of the realm.

There... your brows knotted together, there is something else going on here altogether. You didn't want to think about possibilities, but eventually you knew you'd be faced with it soon enough. It was something else you didn't want to worry about.

You left your bedroom, going downstairs for breakfast.

You were supposed to be cooking breakfast today, though it by the scent in the air it seems that Keith has taken care of the job for you.

You make yourself known by increasing volume in your footsteps, not wanting to startle your brother.

"Morning sis." He greets you, placing two plates down at the table. His grin fell after seeing your wavering smile. "Is everything okay?"

"You cooked when it was supposed to be my day," you stalled, watching him smile in return.

"Mom used to say that I'd eventually have to take care of you when we're older, remember?" His smile fell slightly, "that isn't just it is it?"

You shook your head, sitting down at your plate. "Michael ran off, I guess the news scared him." You explain, a small bittersweet smile on your face that didn't entirely mirror your feelings. "He was pulled into a trial before I could reach him again."

Keith frowns with disappointment, what you guessed (hopefully) disappointment on Michael's part. "Give him a good punch or something when you see him again okay?" He tells you, semi-serious. "And if he refuses to care for you and the child then I'll be sure to punch him." You give him a smile, nodding your head.

You paused wanting to move on from the topic, before explaining about the journal. "It was weird, I brought the items back with me." You told him about the plan you explained to the others while you both ate.

"I'm sure it could work."

"I believe you, it seems like a smart idea. With enough courage and encouragement, I believe you can help free all of them." He referred to both survivors and killers.

You thank him with a short smile before you stood up with your empty plate. Taking it to the sink to wash.

You sighed, finishing up with the dishes, and drying your hands.

You took one last glance to Keith before you made your plan to go out for a walk. You needed a bit of fresh air and some time out.

•▪°○°▪•

You pressed your back against bricks, hand placed upon your pumping heart. You glanced around the corner, watching the transparent figure of the Wraith walk past the doorway of the Prenn Asylum.

You lost him, thankfully. Only earning yourself a deep cut to your shoulder. It was better than being hooked anyway.

You hissed when you stood up straight. I need to find a medkit, or a teammate. You grunt, making your way up the steps of the asylum. You perked up at the sound of a generator powering up in the distance. That marks another one, two left.