Chapter 16

Edited. 

"A small town within the eastern states of Canada by the name of Brookefield still holds the major mystery of the missing children. Over thirty children have disappeared over the last month within Brookefield, with local police investigators stating that no bodies have currently been found." The news reporter paused to dislodge a snowflake from her blonde hair. "Families are evacuating the town out of fear, and the Mayor has suggested closing Brookefield schools while the case is still open. Brookefield high has suffered a loss of over 25% of high school students due to the missing children with the addition of moving families." The woman flashed the camera a staged, sympathetic smile. "Parents are in an emotional riot and the Mayor is grappling for answers. Our thoughts go out to those who have been effected." The young journalist gave a nod before the news switched to another topic, turning to a new concept just like that.

I frowned. The news hadn't been helping with the situation, in fact they were making it exceptionally worse for the town. Reporters roamed the streets, shoving microphones under peoples noses, demanding for information. One had unfortunately ran into Aleena but that conversation ended quickly once she flashed them the birdie. She had run into my hospital room late in the evening to exclaim her rude finger was live on television.

I sighed loudly and switched off the flat screen TV opposite my bed. I glanced wearily at the clock on the opposite wall. Mum hadn't visited me since our outbreak, which left me to ponder my own thoughts. Curiosity continuously pricked at me. What had Aleena planned on doing with me? Probably something sinister and illegal no doubt.

Nurse Lola visited me regularly, especially earlier on this morning. I thought at first she was ensuring I didn't die on her watch, but I found out from other nurses whispering voices that they had heard my mother and I's argument last night and were worried for my well-being.

My lips thinned at the thought. Even strangers looked out for me more than my own mother.

I reminded myself Aleena would arrive any minute, she made sure to tell me this morning that she would visit me straight after school. Now, as I lay back in bed, I allowed my mind to drift. I knew the forest was linked to the disappearances; it was the only way to shelter children. Or bodies.

I shook my head silently and steered my thoughts back to practical ones. They had found Coltons footprint on the outskirts of the forest, and had identified he was barefoot. However, apart from this, there had been no other found clues.

And then there was my wolf with his crimson paws. Blood had caked his fur, clotting to dry and stick into clumps.

Blood.

Liquid pooled along my neck, cascading from my forehead to coat my eyelashes in red. I tried to scream but all I could taste was metal and the essence of my own being.

I scrunched my eyes closed, shutting away the horrid memories that came to my mind. It was becoming a regular occurrence to suddenly remember the night I had a seizure. The ticking of the clock, a change in drip, the prick of a needle. Every detail sent my body into nervous fits and soon the doctor understood that I hadn't mentally recovered from my accident. I had told him at the time he was wrong and sent him away so I could sleep. But I knew he was right.

I needed to talk to somebody, to explain the darkness that seemed to spread within my mind but my stubbornness got the better of me. Aleena would be the only person I would speak to, but even she had proven she hadn't recovered from the night. She would look away with a pale face whenever the nurses drew blood for tests and then exclaim I had misinterpreted her reaction when I questioned her.