Part 9

I wipe some tears of laughter off of my cheek as Aelin finishes her bottle of wine. She sighs and collapses on her back on the balcony. "I wish we could do this all the time. Be happy."

I stand up and lean against the railing, looking out over the city, "we will. One day. We'll win this, Aelin."

"We will." A deep voice says from the doorway. I turn to see Rowan standing in the shadow.

"There's my beautiful husband." Aelin slurs from the ground. Rowan rolls his eyes but smiles as he looks down on her. I take this as my cue to leave.

"Goodnight you two. Thanks for the laughs, Aelin. Back to reality tomorrow." She squeezes my hand as I walk by her.

"He's waiting for you." Rowan whispers as I enter the building. I can't help but smile as I make my way down the hall, towards the room we have been using while in the city. My heart rate speeds up when I get a whiff of his scent. I pick up my pace until I'm standing in front of the door. Before I can reach for the handle, it opens and there he is. Those dark eyes are lit up with happiness. He cut his blonde hair short a few months ago and now his ears and sharp features are more pronounced.

"Well hello there" he purrs and I pounce, wrapping my arms around his neck and my legs around his waist. He laughs and stumbles backwards. "I missed you too, my love."

I lean back to look at his face and smile, "You better have." He smiles back and closes the gap between us, lips capture mine and my whole body melts, warm with happiness. I feel him reach forward to shut the door, his mouth never leaving mine before he carries me to the bed, where he tosses me with a laugh.

"We have a lot of catching up to do" he growls.

Hours later we lay in the bed, my head resting on his bare chest, listening to his calm heartbeat. He runs his fingers through my hair. "Do I get to meet them?" He doesn't need to explain what he's talking about.

"I don't know. Do you want to?" He sits up, bringing me with him and gently grabs my chin so my silver eyes meet his onyx ones.

"Do I want to meet your brother who participated in a plan to murder you when you were a child? Yes. I would definitely like to meet him." His voice is hard and strong and gentle all at the same time. Full of hate towards my brother but full of love for me.

"We need their help Fen. I can't allow you to kill them." I sigh and look down, fidgeting with the edge of the sheet, "besides, I don't even know what to think anymore. Rhys seems completely confused about my attitude towards him. He's acting like he has no clue about why I was supposedly killed."

"So you think maybe you were told the wrong story?" I groan in frustration and collapse back onto the bed.

"I have no idea what I think and I really don't need to be dealing with this right now on top of the fact that the world is ending."

He bends over and kisses my forehead, "I think you need to talk to him, then. Figure it out."

"Who are you and what have you done with my mate? I don't know this reasonable male." His laugh melts my heart.

"If you have the opportunity to have a relationship with your brother, do it. You never know when you won't have the chance to ever talk to him again." I meet his gaze and squeeze his hand. I know he's thinking of Connall. The brother he'll never get to talk to again.