Part 11

Kiara

                I winnow us to an army camp on the edge of Terrasen. The sky is grey, and wind whips the tents covering the land. I make my way towards the center of camp. I can feel Rhys following me, but I don't acknowledge him. As we get closer soldiers look up to see our arrival. When they see me, they stop what they are doing, stand up straight and meet my gaze. Rhys is watching these interactions with curiosity, but he doesn't speak. Finally we reach the bustling main part of the camp where soldiers are carrying wood for fires, food, weapons and armor as they walk around. I scan the area until I see the General's tent and I head right for it. Rhys is still by my side, still thankfully not asking any questions. I pull open the tent flaps and enter, getting some relief from the wind. The tent however is unoccupied. I sigh and wander over to a map covered table in the center. I feel Rhys watching me as I scan the map, observing the plans. "This tent would appear to belong to someone in charge." He muses.

                "Yes, it belongs to the General. That's who we're here to see." I pick up an open letter on the table and begin reading it before he interrupts again.

                "And the General won't mind you going through their belongings?"

                "Of course the General minds her going through my stuff." A deep voice interrupts us. I look up to see a tall male standing in the tent entrance. I see Rhys tense but I just laugh.

                "Well when the General summons me here, I should be allowed to look at whatever I please."

                A smile breaks on his face and brightness fills his eyes, a matching set to Aelin's before he walks over and engulfs me in a bone crushing hug.

                "It's good to see you too." My voice is muffled by his shoulder and he finally releases me, stepping back. He looks over to Rhysand and his eyes widen in surprise before turning back to me. I shrug and shake my head. Telling him not to ask me questions. "Aedion, this is Rhysand. Rhys, this is Aedion." I gesture between the two. Rhys nods a greeting to Aedion and Aedion offers Rhys a stiff smile.

                "Well, welcome Rhysand."

                "So what are we doing here? Why was I summoned?"

                Aedion looks cautiously over at Rhys, unsure if he should speak or not.

                "Don't worry, you can say anything you want. We're trying to prove to him that we're not trying to take advantage of him." Rhys glares at me but I just roll my eyes and look back at Aedion.

                "Okay, well then the soldiers have been getting restless. I've had to squash multiple uprisings. They want to be done fighting and dying when we don't seem to be making any progress. Erawen isn't even Terrasen anymore. We won here. They don't understand why they cannot go home yet. I've asked Aelin to come and explain her grand plan but getting her here is nearly impossible." He runs his hands through his long blonde hair. Exasperated. "So I was hoping you could use your influence to help me out."

                Of course, he wants my help. He'll never admit it but the army respects me more than him. I can't help but smirk. "So you just need me to give some motivational speech? To maybe mist a few minds?"

                He nods, "something like that. I'll have everyone gather tonight." He's interrupted by a red haired soldier entering the tent and asking him to meet with another commander. Aedion sighs but follows the soldier out, squeezing my shoulder as he walks by. Silence falls over the tent as I debate what to say to Rhys. He's staring at the map, studying my unknown world.