Request #3

This is for @snowflake132 or Carissa who wanted a Newt fanfic from the first book, TMR, so I thought I'd clarify since the last one was from Scorch Trials. This is the part where the maze walls don't close and everyone's trying not to lose their heads. Literally and mentally. Hope you like it, Carissa! ❤️

There was not a single slither of sanity left in Gally's head. Every single Glader on the second floor of the Homestead sat and watched him tear away the only protection we had from the Grievers. I couldn't believe my eyes. And I don't think anyone else could, either. Newt was the first to break out of his daze. "Gally!? What has gotten into your bloody head?" He reached for his shoulder to turn him around when Gally swung a board at him. Blood splattered a little and Newt sighed in pain. He lay on the bed, temporarily motionless. I rushed to comfort him as Gally ran off with the mechanic monsters. I cleaned away the blood with a rag another Glader had handed me. Newt winced, but then looked me in the eyes sweetly. I couldn't help but love him since the very first day we met. "Uh, thanks, Carissa," he half smiled. I quickly kissed him for a second or two before backing away and replying,"My pleasure." We smiled at each other, before silencing at the sound of shrieks and cries from outside the Homestead. "Duty calls," he said, struggling to rise to his feet.

"No, you're wounded." I protested, and held his hand, pulling him back gently.

"Yeah, you two love birds need to stay back and take care of each other," Minho agreed.

"We got this," Teresa added, with a hint of fear in her lionhearted expression. With that, Newt and I were together again, with I attending to his wounds, and every once in a while, flirting would travel back and forth between us two.