Silence is Violent

I woke up, ate breakfast, did my usual hygiene routine, and put on my uniform as normal. My brother and I got up early this time. "Excuse me, you two. I have something to tell you." My mother said to both of us. "Yeah?" I asked, looking at her and leaning on the grey marble kitchen counter. "Your principal called me last night. You both did..something. Along with your friend Rani and–Per..sep..phone..e? I don't know how to say their name. Just- please don't do anything bad. I can't have this get on your record." She said. "Okay, Mom." Adrian said, walking out of the door to the bus. "Oh god.." I said quietly, gulping.

When the two of us got off of the school bus, we walked to the principals office. To my surprise, I saw Persephone and Rani there before us. "Thank you all for coming." Mr. Malik said to us, shaking all of our hands one by one. "I've gathered you four here today to discuss something. My file has been stolen by a student named Sadie Malcoms. She told me that you four were in on it, especially you..Persephone." He said, looking at her sinisterly. Persephone sweated a small bit, looking at Rani, then back to Mr. Malik. "I would like to offer each one of you a check of 300,000 US dollars to keep your dirty mouths shut." He smiled even more. "WHAT?!" Adrian yelled, a small smirk on his face, he nudged me then whispering into my ear. 'You could buy the school if you wanted to!' He snickered, I rolled my eyes and snickered aswell.

"This is a serious matter. I need all four of you rats to not leave your trail of cheese on my school grounds and get me arrested. Is this a deal or not?" He asked, reaching his hand out for another shake. The silence in the room grew, the question was like a sword in my back. Pointy and sure as hell hard to ignore. Rani finally broke the silence, "May we discuss this alone, Mr. Malik?" She asked. "No." He said firmly. "Please make it quick, I have a meeting in twelve minutes." He said, tapping his watch. Before any of us could answer, Persephone answered for all of us. "Yes." She said, taking out her lipgloss and brushing it across her lips once more. Honestly, that made her look really pretty. It complimented her ebony black hair and her pastel pink eyeshadow. I should ask her how she does her makeup in the morning and make it look so good as well.

"Good, that settles it." The Principal got out his check book and started to write six checks, the one extra was for Sadie and Christopher. He then handed each one of them to us. Adrian fist pumped in the air. Persephone looking at me with a smile on her face. I smiled back, not to look rude. All of us walked out of the office. "Gender neutral bathroom–now." I said in a stern voice. We all went in. "Persephone, what the hell was that?! We're not cashing out these checks nor are we keeping this to ourselves. Sadie and Chris gave Rani those files for a reason!" I said, taking a breath. "Sorry, Sorry. Just, hide the check or something. Please, we can't let him find out about this." I said, turning away from Persephone and looking at the others. We then left the bathroom, went to our lockers to grab our bags, and skipped school to go get boba.