34

They started sayin',
when you can't hide, run
When you can't run, hide
Started thinkin' love's a loaded gun
Nobody wants to fight
____________________

"OKAY BUT like... this." Jay emphasized.

Him and Carlos were comparing the video games that were on display in the library.

"I've played that before. The controls are crappy." Carlos argued.

"Hey!" Mal called from behind her book, "Unpopular opinion: books are way better than video games."

Carlos stuck out his tongue at her and I proceeded to smack him behind the head.

"Guys, I don't get this." Evie said next to Mal with her textbook open, exasperated.

"Sorry Evie." I said to her, "But if you, the smartest person out of all of us, doesn't get it, then we all don't."

Evie smiled smugly at me, flattered.

"Here, lemme have a look." Carlos peered over her shoulder.

The library was close to deserted. It was a big space filled with towering shelves of books. And arguably Mal's favorite place on campus.

"Brae, check this one out." Jay called.

I walked over to him and snorted when I saw the title of the game he was holding. "The Adventures of the Isle? Seriously?"

"I bet you anything they made it look nicer than it actually is." Jay replied, placing it back on the rack.

I knew he spoke the truth.

"You're probably right." Carlos said, appearing behind me.

"Brae." Evie said, waiting for me to turn around before continuing, "Turns out your boyfriend is smarter than me."

I faked shock. "Carlos? Smart?"

"Ah-ha-ha." Carlos rolled his eyes sportively, "You're so funny."

"Already acting like a married couple I see." Mal smirked.

I crossed my arms. "Read your dang book." I squinted playfully at her.

"Language, Isle Orphan." Jay teased, nudging me.

"I said dang! Geez..."

We laughed.

"You're all terrible." I declared.

"That's just because we're rotten." Mal grinned.

"To the core." Evie answered. She and Mal shared a knowing look. "Just a little inside joke."

"Rotten to the core, huh?" Jay said, running his finger on the shelf.

"Excuse me." The librarian popped out from behind the counter, "You guys have five minutes before I'm closing."

I looked at my phone. 4pm.

"I have a wedding ceremony to attend." The kind faced woman explained, "My bad."

Evie closed her book shut. "It's alright. Have fun at the ceremony."

"Is it okay if I borrow this before you close?" Mal asked, holding up her book.

"Of course, hun. Come over here."

"Thank you." Mal said politely, walking to the counter.

The woman smiled from behind her round glasses. "You know, I don't understand how everyone says the VKs are horrible, but you're the exact opposite."