39

It's a pirate's life, every single day
She's the captain, I'm the first mate
Enemies seasick can't see straight
Call 'em fish bait, throw 'em on a hook
__________________

TO MOST of our misery and to Mal's delight, Dude lead us straight to Uma's territory.

The group stopped in the space between two buildings where stairs wrapped its way up the three-story structures, and banana peals and empty cans decorated the ground.

"We can't just walk in unprepared." Evie was saying.

Jay was in a fighting stance. "Just let me at 'em." He complained, "I can take them down."

"Not with your bare hands, you airhead." I said, leaning against the brick wall.

"Evie's right." Ben spoke up, sitting on the steps, "It wouldn't be smart to barge in without knowing what to expect."

Mal took a seat next to him. "I don't care. I know how Uma's small brain works. It wouldn't take long to overpower her." She said cooly, smiling widely.

"Are you two enemies or something?" Ben asked, turning to his girlfriend.

"What makes you think that?" Mal replied, taking his hand.

Ben's device beeped, and he had to answer it, updating his dad or whoever's on the other end of our situation. Jay started prancing around.

"So what now?" Carlos gulped, "I don't want to be stuck here for the rest of my-"

"Guys!" Jay yelled excitedly, hovering over a barrel.

We hurried over to him and was very pleased to see that it was stacked with at least a dozen swords.

"Kinda weird that they'd just leave this here." Carlos commented. It was obvious they were pirate weapons.

"Now this could come in handy." Jay smirked, pulling one out and twirling it around, "It's heavier than the one Lonnie gives me but it'll have to do."

Ben looked a tad worried. "I have never touched a sword before in my life." He said when I passed him one.

"You just gotta trust yourself and think fast." I told him, holding my own one in my hand.

"Anyone here- except Ben, doesn't know how to fight?" Mal asked loudly.

The VKs looked at each other. It wasn't a surprise that we all knew how to fight on some level. Fighting was part of the Isle life, after all.

"Good, cause I want to make a dramatic entrance." Mal tested her sword's weight, then started sprinting.

"Mal? Mal!" Ben called after her, "Where're you going?"

She stopped just before she stepped out of the alley and looked back at us. "Visiting shrimpy" was her simple answer.

"I don't think barging in with swords is gonna help us." Ben protested, but Mal was gone in seconds.

The next thing we know, we all ran after her. She was basically our leader, though it went unspoken. My feet pattered against the wet ground and I had to hastily tuck my sword into my belt. The others had to hold theirs, careful not to poke someone's eye out as we moved quickly.

I hope my math teacher gives me an extra day for the homework that I was supposed to be doing right now.

Mal was beyond ready for this moment and I couldn't understand why.

Ursula's Fish and Chips was exactly how I remembered it. The place was built entirely out of wood. Tentacles of an octopus was painted around the door, though the color was slowly coming off. The sign had light bulbs fixed on the sides. Some worked, some didn't. A plank of wood hung under it unevenly, reading aggressively: