2019: chapter 6

that day:

om's car:

om: so where are we going?

gauri: turn left.

om: kyu? where are we going?

gauri: don't argue with me. it only ends one way and that way is me winning. 

om: but at least tell me where we are going.

gauri: turn left yaar!

om: urgh! fine!

he turned left and continued driving.

gauri: drive straight until I tell you to turn again.

om: ok ji. whatever you say.

they stayed silent then. the silence was poisonous in it's nothingness, cruelly underscoring how vapid their conversation had become. gauri looked at om and then om looked at gauri. they didn't know what to say. they didn't even know each other. the only common ground they had between them was that they both knew rishi. other than that, nothing! 

gauri: um....do you have some cds in this car?

om: yeah. 

he went to the side holder of his car and got out some cd packets.

om: take your pick.

he gave them to gauri who looked at them, making a face at every cd she saw.

om: why that face?

gauri: what is your music choice? yeh rapper, voh rapper? URGH! the only rapper I like is xxtentcation and he isn't even there.

om: so?

gauri: do you have anything that isn't rap?

om: maybe.

gauri: that's not an answer. yes or no?

om: um...gauri: um isn't an answer either. yes or no?

 om: ok calm down! yes I have.

gauri: what do you have then?

om: some Hindi songs, I only play them when I am stressed out though.

gauri: give me that cd then.

om rolled his eyes as he went into the side holder and got out the Hindi cd. he handed it to gauri who smiled showing off her dimples.

gauri: thank you.

she looked at the song list and kept the disc in the cd slit. she pressed the forward button three times till she got that song.

om: what song did you choose?

gauri: ek minute...

just then the background music started and then the vocals:

haan aa o...

main jaan ye vaar doon
har jeet bhi haar doon
keemat ho koi tujhe beinteha pyaar doon (x2)

gauri and the cd: saari hadein maine meri, ab maine tod di, dekar mujhe pataa awaargi ban gaye, haan hasi ban gaye, haan nami ban gaye, tum mere aasmaan, meri zameen ban gaye.

om turned to see gauri who was happily singing to the words...so perfectly and in tune and the melody of her word...magic! her voice was as beautiful as a fairy palace. her voice was as soothing as the breath of spring. her voice was as sweet as odorous white lilies are. it was almost as if he had heard her voice before but where? he only had just met her. he didn't know her at all and here he was thinking that where did he hear her singing voice before and when did he hear her singing voice?