Can't we catch a break?

The bear stands in the entrance of the cave, breathing heavy. None of us move.

"Should I shoot it?" Kai whispers.

"No," Lucy whispers.

"Yes," Alice whispers.

"I'm getting mixed signals here," Kai says.

The bear charges into the cave. I dive out of the way, nearly getting crushed by a giant paw.

"Shoot it, you idiot!" Alice yells, her back presses against a cave wall.

"Are we all in agreement that I should shoot it?" Kai asks.

The bear charges at me. I dive again, barely escaping. "Yes," I gasp.

"But-" Lucy is cut off when the bear charges at her. She crouches down, curling up into a ball.

The bear towers over Lucy, it's slobber flying in her face. Lucy doesn't move. Silent tears stream down her face.

Alice rips the gun from Kai's hand and shoots the bear in the head. The bear falls, almost crushing Lucy, who is sobbing.

Alice walks over to Lucy, trying to calm her down. 

"Why didn't you shoot it?" I ask Kai.

"I wanted to make sure everyone was okay with it. You know Lucy hates killing things." Kai shrugs. 

"We are NOT spending the night in this cave," Lucy says, sniffling and eyeing the bear.

"Fine with me," I say. I'm not super enthusiastic about spending the night in a cave with a dead bear, either.

Alice walks out of the cave and plops down on the grass. "Goodnight," She says, laying down.

I look at Kai and shrug before laying down a few feet away from Alice. 

Lucy and Kai walk out of the cave and lay down in the grass. Here we are, spending another night in the grass. Yay.

---

I wake up to find a gun pressed to my forehead. 

"Hello, Blaze," The man holding the gun says, smiling. I'd bet anything he works for The Organization. 

"Ugh. Can't we catch a break?" I hear Kai groan. 

I glance around. There are three other men, each holding a gun to one of my friends' heads.

"You really think we would let you get away so easily?" The man holding the gun to my head asks.

"Actually, considering how stupid you guys are, yes," Kai says.

I wish Kai would shut up. Smart talking these guys is going to get us killed quicker.

"We aren't stupid. We tracked you down. You spent the night in plain sight," One of the other guards says.

"Yes, but did you think to disarm us?" I hear Kai say.

I spring into action, kicking the man holding the gun in the groin. I punch him in the face. The man tries to shoot me, but I grab the gun and point it to the left. 

I reach down, grabbing my dagger from my pocket. I slash the man's arm, leaving a deep cut. The man howls and punches me repeatedly.

I groan and try and block the man's attacks. I cut him again on the other arm.

The man tries to aim the gun at me again, but I dig my dagger into his wrist. The man screams and drops the gun. Blood is gushing from his wrist, which is hanging off at an awkward angle. I can see bone.