Chapter 9 - Wish

July 5th came sooner than I anticipated for. The last time I baked a cake was last year when I surprised Mel on our birthday.

Today, she decided to surprise me instead.

The aroma of a sweet cake slapped my nose as I battled to wake up. At first, I told it was from my dream but when I finally woke up, I saw a very pretty cake on the bed beside me and a cute candle in the middle.

"Happy birthday love," she smiled and peck my lips. "Happy birthday honey," I smirked, taking her full lips into mine.

Our tongues interlocked as we kissed passionately. And gently, we pulled back. "Can you kindly make a wish, babe," she said, bringing the cake closely.

"Only if we make a wish together, since it's both our birthdays," I smiled and she agreed.

Closing our eyes, we quickly made a wish and blew the candle off together. "So what did you wish for?" She asked,

"For us to have babies, triplet," I smiled and she frowned.

"Why?" I asked her, collecting the cake she was still holding and dropped it at the other side of the bed. "Don't you want triplet?"

"I don't know. Baby, can we..." She trailed off.

"Can we what?" She was making me confused the more.

"I love you hon, and I'm sorry if we don't have any kids," she cried into my chest. "Hey, it's not your fault and I don't want you to take te blame. Doctor Zara said we are both fine and we should come back six months later, that should be December," I told her and she looked up at me.

"Is that all she said?"

"Yes baby," I replied, pulling her into a warm hug. "Oooh, she also asked if you are taking any medication. Are you?"

"No," she replied in a rush.

"I thought as much. Because if you are, I would know, right?"

"Yes love," she said, and I slowly claimed her lips.

*

*

*

Watching TV in the living room, we heard a knock on the door.

"Happy birthday dude," my brother, Barry, shouted as soon as I opened the goddamn door. Beside him, a pretty young lady stood, holding a cake. "Hi, happy birthday," she smiled innocently.

"Thanks man. Thanks dear."

"Where's Mel?" He asked and I scolded him, "dude, I'm the only one that has the right to call her that," I said hitting his chest playfully.

"That's your fucking issue man. Won't you let us in?" He chuckled, wrapping his hand over the girl's shoulder.

"Baby, who's at the door?" I heard Mel ask.

"It's your brother in-law," Barry shouted as he walked over to Mel, who is now standing and carried her. "Happy birthday beautiful one. Hope that over sized monkey is treating you well?" He asked after dropping her down.

We all laughed at his remark. Yeah! Barry is actually comical.

I collected the cake from his girl and placed it on the center table. "Another cake for us babe," I winked at Mel.

"So who's she?" Mel asked.

"Yo. Baby, come over here," he said to the girl. With the way she was behaving, I knew she was shy. "This is my... sweetheart," Barry smirked, kissing the girl's cheek.