Chapter 14 - Resignation

"What's this?" Mr Phillip asked, looking at the envelope I dropped on his table.

"It's my resignation letter, sir." I told him calmly.

"And why so? Haven't we been paying you well? What's the problem?" He looked surprised at what I said. "You can't just leave, Mrs Odogwu. You are one of our best accountant if not the best and you just want to way away," his surprised face turned to disappointment.

"No sir. This company has done nothing to me. I love my job and... "

"Then why are you resigning?" He cut me off.

"Sir, I have to do this. My family needs me. I need to repair my already broken home. I'm sorry but I can't keep pursuing my career while my home is damaged," I told him.

"What if we agree to your terms and conditions? You don't get it, we need you here," he stood up.

Mr Phillip is in his mid-forties. He has been really nice towards me and every other handworking employee.

"I'm sorry sir but I have to do this. I'm also hurting from this but I guess this is the best way to handle this. I'm sorry but I have to leave now," I said and left without hearing any plead from him.

All this while, Bisola was standing outside waiting for me. "Hey, you still haven't told me what you went in there to do," she attacked me.

"I resigned," I sighed, resting my back on the door. "Why? For what? I thought you loved your job," she said, almost screaming.

"Keep your voice down. Moreover, I have to clear my desk," I said, walking towards the elevator. "You still haven't answered any of my questions," she raised her eye brow.

"I needed to for my family, and yes, I still love my job but this is the only way I can have full attention to my husband and home," I explained. The elevator didn't take any time as my floor was the next floor below the manager's but I'm just too lazy to claim any stairs.

"Ouch. I'm sorry babes. I fully understand your reasons but I will so much miss you and your silly ass," she said, earning her a smile from me.

"I know right. What will you do without me," I teased and we both laughed. She assisted in packing my things and accompanied me to the parking lot.

"Hey, you can come visit me since I will be a full house wife," I told her and she nodded. "I love you and make sure you take care of the home properly. Moreover, you look like... Are you sure you're not pregnant?" She asked, using her eyes to scan me from head to toe.

"I'm not. And yes, I definitely will do that. I love you," she pulled me in her always motherly warm hug before waving me goodbye.

Did I say she's a mother. Yes, I think I've said that before. But I didn't mention how many kids, she's a mother of three.

"But seriously, are you sure? You're glowing badly. Maybe your womb has healed. Like you said, it's a partial injury," bisola said.

"Yeah, maybe it's healed. But being pregnant, it's a no. I have to go now,"

"Alright. Bye baby. Will miss you," she blew me a kiss.

"Bye, love you love you," I screamed as I drove off. I could see her still waving through my side mirror as I hit the express.

*

*

*

I was watching football match since I took the day off to rest, assigning Barry to be in charge for the day, when I heard a car drive in.

I looked at my wrist watch and it read, 11:24am. Who would that be? I thought. I walked outside and saw Mel trying to park.

She came out of the car and locked it. From the look of things, she was weak. "Mel, what happened? Why are you home this early?" I asked, carrying her bag and helping her into the house.

The way she was walking I had to carry her too. I gently laid her down on the blue couch.

"Mic," she called me back as I was about to get a glass of water. "Do you think I'm getting any better? I mean, I take my medications rightly but it seems I'm not getting better. My colleague thinks I'm even pregnant," she said, her eyes filled with sadness.

"I'm sorry baby," I said, caressing her cheeks. "You will be fine, trust me," I kissed her soft lips. "Thank you," was the last thing I heard her say before she dosed off.

>hours later...

I saw Mel trying to get up from the couch. "Hey, calm down. Dinner is almost served and I'm sure you're hungry," I said assisting her to get up.

"Dinner?" She looked...surprised. "How long have I been sleeping?" She asked.

"For.... " I said checking the time. "For about seven hours," I told her earning a gasp from her. "Why didn't you wake me up? I missed my afternoon medication," she complained, like if I woke her up she would answer.

"Don't worry. You will take it this evening. Now, let's go take a shower together," I told her, carrying her to the bedroom.

>next day...

"Good morning, darling," I greeted Mel with breakfast in bed. "How is my favourite queen doing?" I placed a light kiss on her lips.

"Morning Mic," she managed to respond. And the next question made me laugh, "Is today our anniversary?"

"What's funny? Did I say someth... "

I kissed her shutting her up. "just eat your meal and get strong."

She smiled and began eating. "Mmmm, this is just what I was craving for. It's been long since I had breakfast in bed," she voiced out.

"I know babe, and from today, I promise to surprise you with it. But not daily," I smirked. She gave me her best smile, earning another kiss from me.

"Aren't you going to work today?" She asked, with a mouthful of toast.

"I'm going. I can't miss two days even though I'm the CEO," I told her, and she nodded while chewing. "To be honest.....never mind. Off to the shower, or do you mind joining me," I winked at her.

"C'mon, go prepare. When you're done, I will make you your coffee, just the way you love it," she said, shaking her head.

"Are you sure?" I smirked.

"Are you trying to seduce me?" She asked, sipping her hot chocolate tea.

"It wouldn't be a bad idea," I said, moving towards her. I took the tray off her and dropped it on the other side.

"What are you doing, Mic?" She asked

"Watch and learn, baby girl." I winked before carrying in a bridal way.

I guess you all know what will happen next....

*

*

*