Six

After two weeks of the beach, museums, and amusement park our last day in California has arrived and boy am I gonna miss this place

After two weeks of the beach, museums, and amusement park our last day in California has arrived and boy am I gonna miss this place. The sunshine, the ocean in our backyard, no worries, no parents, just my friends and a hell of a lot of fun.

We decided to spend our last night in the living room. One of the Harry Potter films plays in the background, but none of us are paying attention. Instead we're reminiscing on some of our memories together.

"Do you remember when we first met, Line?" Riley asks.

Ah, the day I met the Quinn twins. It was an interesting experience. The twins and I had shared classes since pre-K, but we never officially met until two years later. Nova and I were seated next to one another, Riley was on the other side of the room. Nova had thrown a major tantrum until the teacher had the kid on the other side of her switch with Riley. I was kinda terrified of her and asked the teacher if I could switch, but then she turned to me with a dazzling grin. "Don't worry, I like you. We're friends now." And that is how our friendship began.

"What about meeting Dani?" Dani groans and hides her face in her hands.

Meeting Dani kinda went the same way as meeting me, except she was the one yelling at Nova. Dani had been homeschooled until halfway through the fourth grade. Her mom had left so her dad had to get a job and put her in public school. She was nervous and tense on her first day. Nova had been bugging her - which is her way of trying to be friendly - but Dani had never had friends before. She got annoyed at the blonde and snapped, shouting at her and calling her an annoying brat. It was quite the show. Riley and I both thought Nova was going to yell back, but she surprised us. She smiled at Dani and said "You're fun. Wanna sit with us at lunch?"

"An 'annoying brat'? Man did you have guts." Nova smirks at the brunette. I think that's why Nova invited Dani to sit with us. She had fire. It was small, and she still rarely shows it. But it's there. And you don't want to be on the receiving end.

"So." Nolan interrupts, plopping down on the seat next to Nova. "How did little Julian join your cult?"

That was all me. Julian moved to Forks the day before Halloween in the fifth grade. His dad was transferred to the hospital so his mom took a job at the high school, our American history teacher. Julian and his parents had come into my parents store, the boy scraped his hand trying to carry a box and demanded he needed a bandaid. Their bandages were packed away so the store was the only option. He was so shy, wouldn't even look at me. We met again the next day. I found out he didn't live too far away from me. Figuring he didn't have any plans, I was determined to bring him trick or treating with us. His parents forced him to. Julian remained quiet the entire night, but when I asked if he wanted to get an ice cream the next day, he smiled. I dragged him to every hang out and lunch after that. He finally spoke two weeks later.

"As much as I hated the thought at first, I'm glad my parents made me join you guys." Julian says to us.

"Awe." Riley gushes. "We made Jules sappy." Julian rolls his eyes and tosses an empty soda bottle at Riley's head. Riley, the baseball star he is, catches it with ease and smirks.

Nova suddenly squeals and jumps to her feet. "Look!" She points out the side window. The house to our left has flashing lights and music can be heard. "We should go." The blonde is sliding her phone in her pocket and heading towards the door before anyone can reply.

Nolan shrugs and waves us off. "Go, but no drinking. And be back before 2!"

~~~~~

Smoke fills the air, some from the smoke machine and some from cigarettes. The walls seem to shake with how loud the music is. Strangers grind against one another, one couple practically having sex on the couch. Dani looks nervous, eyes wide as she takes in the scene. The twins appear unfazed.

"Is that little Julie?" A voice shouts. A tall man stands a few feet ahead of us, his lips turned up in a smirk.

"Who the fuck is Julie?" Nova asks me.

Her question is answered when the man suddenly brings Julian into a bro hug. "Julie Brent. Why didn't you tell me you were in town?"

With the dark lighting, I can barely make out Jules' now red face. "It's Julian, Kai. It's always been Julian." Jules still smiles at the man. "I thought you moved back to Kentucky."

Kai shakes his head. "Nah, not really my scene." He takes a swig of the beer in his hand. "You and your friends should stick around. Tonight's gonna be killer." He disappears into the crowd.

"Come on!" Nova shouts, grabbing a hold of Dani and I's hands. "Let's have some fun." She drags us towards the makeshift dance floor, pushing us through the crowd.

Somewhere along the way cups are shoved into our hands. I take a drink without a second thought.

A warm, fuzzy feeling coats my veins. And my surroundings blur together.