Seventeen

In the second part, right after the ~~~~ there's a comment that is intended to be funny. However, given today's circumstance it could be taken wrongly and affect people in a negative way. I want to apologize in advance if this hurts anyone, that is not my intention.

 I want to apologize in advance if this hurts anyone, that is not my intention

The white walls seem to be taunting me. Everything in this room is mocking me, laughing at the situation I'm in. My appointment came sooner than I hoped, and I find myself sitting on a hospital bed waiting for Dr. Cullen. I hope he doesn't come. I don't want him to come.

Mom mistakes my nervousness of being near the doctor as worrying about whether or not my nerves are properly healed. "I'm sure everything is fine, sweetie. Sue says you're just about fully healed." I smile at her. If only I could tell her what's really bothering me.

The door opens and my hands shakes. It's fine, it's okay. Nothing to worry about. To distract myself from my thoughts, I fiddle with my fingers.

Dr. Cullen smiles at my mom and I, although I can see the uneasiness in his eyes. Edward must have told him I know about them and I'm not fond of what they are.

"Good afternoon, Mrs. Rouse, Caroline. Let's take a look at that hand." I hesitate before stretching my arm out to him. He's careful while he checks it. He has me perform several stretches: clenching and unclenching my fists, wiggling my fingers, writing a sentence on a piece of paper. "Have you been experiencing any pain?"

I shake my head. "Not a whole lot. It hurts a little when I write too much or bump my hand on something, but that's it."

Dr. Cullen hums and glances at his clipboard. "Mrs. Clearwater says you have improved drastically since your first appointment. I'm afraid there's not much we can do about the slight pain while writing. Overtime it should heal itself. You no longer need therapy. If the pain worsens or daily activities become painful, call in and we can check your hand."

Mom smiles and thanks him. I wait impatiently for her to finish so we can return home. But alas, she tells me to wait here while she receives the paperwork. Thank him, she mouths as she passes me.

My mouth opens and closes several times. I should thank him, but I don't want to speak with him. Luckily for me, he speaks first. "I've been made aware you know of my family's existence." That's one way to put it. "We want you to know we wish you, nor anyone, any harm. We've coexisted peacefully with the shifters for quite a while now, and we are not like others of our kind."

I stop him before he can continue. "I don't want some speech about how peaceful and safe you and your family are. You've been kind and fixed my arm, so thank you. But I'm sure you understand my uneasiness." Dr. Cullen nods. "So I would appreciate if this would be where we leave off." He purses his lips and nods once more.

"Did you thank him?" Mom questions as we walk to the car. "He really is a nice man. The hospital was practically in ruins when he and his family left. Hopefully he'll stay here until he retires."

"I doubt that."

~~~~~~

"There needs to be a new plague, there's too many people on this earth." I snort at Dani's comment.

Dani, Nova, Riley, and I find ourselves in Seattle this rainy Saturday night. Seattle is the last place Julian was seen. We're trying to find more clues, anything that will tell us where our friend went.

We currently sit at the food court in an outlet mall. Julian forces his parents to come here every time they're in Seattle, he likes to go to the Vans store. Riley showed an employee there a picture of Julian, but she didn't remember him.

Even close to closing time, the outlet mall is littered with people. They stand in lines for food, squeeze themselves into any available place to sit. It's suffocating.

We decide to leave. There's been no luck finding anyone who remembers seeing Julian.

As we leave the food court, a body roughly slams into mine. I turn to yell at the person, but they're nowhere in sight. What the hell?

"Line? Are you okay?" Nova grabs my hand in hers.

I continue to stare at emptiness. I swear someone ran into me. "Yeah. Just thought I saw something." I shake it off and follow after my friends.

There's a commotion outside. Half a dozen police cars are parked next to the barrier blocking the parking lot from the ocean. A crane sits next to them. A crowd huddles close, wondering what's going on. We join them.

The crane lifts something from the water, a Jeep. A rusty, silver Jeep. A Jeep I've ridden in hundreds of time. A Jeep I've cried in, laughed in, studied in, slept in, ate in.

"Julian." Riley breathes out his name. So quiet I almost don't hear it.

But hearing his name is all it takes for me to react. "Wait!" I shove through the crowd, panting by the time I reach the police. "My friend, that's my friend's car."

One officer pulls me aside just as my friends appear. "What's his name? Is this him?" He points to Riley.

"No." Nova answers. "His name is Julian Brent. He went missing almost two weeks ago." The officer seems to remember hearing about Julian and quickly informs another officer.

"His case was ruled as a runaway." The officer says when he turns back to us. "Is there any reason he would have pushed his vehicle into the water?" The four of us shake our heads. The officer sighs. "Call your parents, we're going to need to bring you all in for questioning."

We share a confused look. "Why? We already talked to the police in Forks."

"Because I don't think your friend ran away. We may be dealing with an abduction."