Chapter 11

A week later
Things had slowed down in both packs as life seemed to be getting somewhat back to normal. Nightshade, nor Shadow Cave had had any attacks or threats. Nicole jumped right back into her role as alpha, and things were going well. The warriors from Aldrich's pack had settled in at Shadow Cave, some even finding their mates as they mingled with the pack.

   Nicole had been busying herself with her alpha duties, trying to shake off the nagging feeling with her mate bond to Aldrich. She sat in her office, paperwork scattered all around as she buried herself in a 'pack release' document. The wolves who had found their mates from Aldrich's pack were requesting release from Shadow Cave. Nicole was sad to see them go, but understood. So, there she sat, filling out the necessary paperwork that she would send off to Aldrich for his approval.

  A soft knock on the door interrupted her. She looked up, stretching her back and popping her sore neck as she called for the person to enter. Her father walked in, a cough racking through his chest as he entered. Nicole stood abruptly, rushing to his side as she helped him to the chair in front of her desk.
"Dad, are you okay?" she asked, easing him down into the chair as she continued to cough.

Finally catching his breath, Andrew patted his daughters hand that rested on his. "Yes, I'm fine. Thank you."

Nicole nodded, her eye brows still furrowed in concern as she made her way back to her desk. Taking a seat, she moved some of the paper work to the side as she looked up to her dad waiting on him to speak.

"So...." he said, staring at his daughter with an awaiting gaze.

Nicole raised her eye brows questioning, leaning back in here large chair as she looked over her dads aging face.

"What?"

A smile slowly formed on Andrews face as he leaned back in his own chair. "You know what."

Nicole rolled her eyes, sitting back up as she opened her laptop, going back to looking through files of the newly mated wolves. "Look, Dad, with all due respect, I have paperwork that has to be finished and sent off to Aldrich, so if you could-"

"Ohhh, so you two are on first name basis now, hmm?" Andrew chuckled, reaching to scratch at the stubble on his chin.

Nicole let out a breath as she remained looking at her laptop. "Yes, Father, we are on first name basis."

Andrew chuckled once more, nodding his head as he looked over his daughter. "He is a fine alpha, Nicole. I couldn't be more proud of you, Daughter."

Nicole felt her cheeks heat up as she fought back tears. All she ever wanted was to be the alpha her father saw her as. His approval meant the world to her. "Thank you Dad. And yeah, he is."

Andrew smiled a genuine smile as he stood up, walking over to the bar that sat across the room. Grabbing a crystal decanter full of bourbon, he grabbed a matching glass, pouring it full of the dark brown liquid. Lifting the glass to his lips, he sipped on it, closing his eyes as he felt the burn of it in his chest.

  Nicole sighed as she watched her father sip the drink. His health was declining faster than it had been, and she was more worried than ever. The last thing she wanted was to lose her mentor, her father. As she watched him take another sip, she closed the laptop as laid her elbow on the desk in front of her. "Dad, you shouldn't be drinking. Remember what Doc told you, it's not good for your health now."

Andrew sighed as he took his final sip, sitting the glass back down on the small bar. "Nic, we both know I don't have long. What's a drink gonna do, my dear?"

Nicole's eyes pricked with tears once more at his words. She hated when he talked like that, but recently, she had noticed he was saying it more. "Dad, don't. I can't...I can't think of that right now. You're fine. You're gonna be fine...just..don't."