Chapter Eighteen

Patrick

Ella slides into my car with a plate covered with tinfoil, setting it down onto the dashboard so that she can buckle her seatbelt. "Don't ask." She laughs. "My grandma made you cookies."

"I love grandma Susan." I grin widely, lifting up the tinfoil to grab one. "She likes me, doesn't she?"

"A little bit too much. I'm starting to think she has a crush on you too."

"Oh, I could totally sense that the other night when we were playing cards." I joke, shoving the cookie into my mouth. "I saw the way she smiled."

She scrunches her nose up in disgust. "Patrick, that's so gross. I was just kidding."

I switch the radio on to the pop station she likes, leaning over to grab onto her hand. Her nails are painted this deep red, little sparkles shimmering back at me. I want to kiss her, but for now I just focus on the road.

"So, where are we going?" She asks excitedly. "You better not have made me get dressed up for nothing."

"I didn't." I assure her. "Trust me, you'll love this place."

__________

I drive to Conway, which is a town right near Myrtle Beach. Most people know it because Coastal Carolina University is here, so a lot of people come here for the nightlife. My parents used to take me to this little restaurant that has piano players who take requests from the audience. I remember as a little kid watching my dad twirl my mom around in circles on the dance floor looking so in love. I am so excited to take Ella here tonight.

I park on the side of the street as she looks out the window in confusion. She has no idea where we're at, and when I come around to open up the door for her she sends me a grateful smile and steps out onto the curb.

Letting out a whistle, I grab her hand and hold her at arms length to appreciate how she looks tonight. She's in a black velvet long sleeved dress that stops just above her knees, her breasts being outlined from it being so low cut. I can tell she curled her hair because it's not as frizzy, and her makeup is done heavier than normal. I appreciate that she took the time to look this good for me. "Wow." I tell her.

She allows me to twirl her on the sidewalk, happier than I've ever seen her. "Thanks. I actually love this dress."

Her confidence is radiating off of her more and more each day, and when I take her hand she holds onto it tighter before we step inside the restaurant. I watch her eyes light up once she hears the piano music, glancing back at me for a quick second. I lead her over to the bar so we can sit down, but she's too infatuated with the atmosphere to even move it seems like.

"This is so cool!" She shrieks. "How did you find this place?"

"My parents used to take me here." I say once we finally take our seats, a waiter coming over to hand us some menus. "I just felt like you had to see it before you leave."

"This is awesome. I've never been to a place like this before."

When the waiter asks us what we'd like to drink, Ella orders a sprite and I order a beer, Ella's eyes widening towards me. "Can I see a form of ID?" the man asks.

"Sure." I reply without hesitation, sliding him over the fake from across the bar. He looks at it for a brief moment and nods his head, passing it back towards me. As he walks away her mouth drops open before she smacks me on the shoulder.

"Since when do you have a fake ID?"

"Drew got me one." I shrug. "It comes in handy."

She grabs one of her curls and fumbles with it to try and untangle it before she sends me a smile. "I learn something new about you every day."