Volume 6, Chapter 7 - "Mysteries and Truths"

(YN's P.o.V)

The days after our battle in the courthouse were anything but relaxing. Photos of Team RWBY were blasting all over the Internet, people were asking questions, the press was all over us whenever we were seen in public, forcing us to run away from them, sometimes having to use our powers to escape. Honestly, I preferred it when people knew the girls did not exist, things were much more manageable. Luckily, no one knew my secret identity or where we lived yet so we usually got some breathing space, which meant that I could focus on training up (BF/N); I was sparring with him on one of the more secluded rooftops on the quieter side of town, away from all the busy shops on the high street. I must admit, in terms of general combat, (BF/N)'s skills were definitely improving, slowly but keeping a consistent pace of development. If it weren't for my previous combat experience facing monsters, superhumans and, for all intents and purposes, a god of darkness, I would've considered him an equal but then again, he was still a young prodigy and I was still a Huntsman; quite a significant difference there if I were to start trying. I caught his backwards kick and thrust him away from me before signalling to him to take a break.

(Y/N): "Alright, not bad. Now, let's try it again but with your Semblance active."

(BF/N): "You sure?"

(Y/N): "(BF/N), you know I've been to Hell and back Gods know how many times, I'm pretty sure I can handle a bit of fire."

(BF/N): "T-That's not what I meant. I think I've... I've had some difficulties lately."

(Y/N): "Don't worry, nobody can master their Semblance instantly, not even me. I remember thousands of times where I timed out whilst I had it active and ended up hurting myself a lot. Just have a little confidence, it'll be fine."

(BF/N): "Alright, if you say so."

(BF/N) then took a deep breath and a jet of fire was suddenly shot from Passionate Ace but instead of blasting towards me, the stream bent itself and flowed around (BF/N)'s body before he forced it into his hands and closed his fists, causing his eyes to blaze with a small, gentle flame as he did so. I smirked as his fists were set alight with fire.

(Y/N): "You've been practising."

(BF/N) did not respond and instead rushed me, his fist leaving a trail of flame behind him as he swung his fist; I ducked and responded with a kick but he blocked it with his other arm! His hands were insanely hot, I couldn't make contact with them for long, so when he attempted to strike me with a flurry of firey punches, I thrust them away with my arms and quickly jabbed him in the stomach before thrusting him backwards with a quick thrust of my palm onto his chin. However, all of a sudden, his eyes burst with fire and when he turned around, a fireball suddenly blasted out of his hands; it was headed towards the street below! Trusting nothing but instinct, I activated my Semblance and reduced the intensity of the fire to a small candle using Cinder's Semblance so that it landed gently on the ground and went out when a passerby unwittingly stepped on it. I let out a sigh of relief before looking back in shock to (BF/N), who had calmed down and deactivated his Semblance.

(Y/N): "What was that?"

(BF/N): "I find that... that sometimes happens... usually when I'm angry or annoyed."

(Y/N): "You've got to stop that."

(BF/N): "You think I haven't been trying?!"

(Y/N): "Shh! Don't get angry again. Another piece of advice from your tutor: don't let your emotions get to you. Getting emotional can cloud your mind, blind your eyes, make you prone to doing things that you wouldn't rationally do. In fact, and I know this from experience, fear is the most dangerous emotion of them all; you must be brave when facing your fears, otherwise it may lead to catastrophic consequences."