Chapter 38

Loud music. Blinding lights. Masses of families.

It was the perfect place for our escape.

But I wasn't stupid. Ryan would be keeping an extra eye on us on our first trip out of the house. If I could just get the attention of one person, or one single person to tell them to call the police discretely and keep him distracted for just long enough then we could be free.

The sensible thing to do in this situation would most likely be to not try and run on our very first trip out of the house. To wait. To play the long game and build his trust even further. I guess I shared similar traits to my younger brother in this case though, because I was definitely too impatient to do that.

I wanted out. And, I wanted out now.

The car ride felt like it took forever, and when I say felt - we were made to wear blindfolds for the first part of the journey so that we would have no idea where the house was located. Fair enough, I could see what he was trying to do. But I didn't need to be able to have watched the car journey to know where the house was, I wasn't stupid.

Ryan used to talk about that house all of the time, it was literally in his family's name.

I squeezed Jamie's shoulders as we neared the entrance to the fairground, illuminated by a bold sign advertising all of the fun that awaited. This may be a plan for me, but this was still fun to Jamie - he was just a kid after all. His little face lit up with excitement when he spotted his first hook-a-duck game, desperate to play as it was identical to the one in the film he had watched.

"Go for it, buddy." Ryan grinned, handing Jamie over some change as he ran slightly ahead to play the game.

"I appreciate you letting him have fun." I commented, part of me actually meaning my words.

"Why wouldn't I? He's like a brother to me, and today is for him. Today will be a good bonding session for us both too, because I know you may still be hesitant to trust me - but you'll see I'm not the bad guy in all of this. The people you hung out with in that little town, they changed you. I'm here to change you back. To be a family again."

I stared at Jamie as he poorly attempted to hook his chosen duck, not wanting to give any sort of reaction to those words. I couldn't bring myself to agree to being a family again, but I also knew that I couldn't retaliate yet. I needed a distraction.

"Well done bud!" I cheered, as the lad around our age behind the counter had slyly moved the pole to align with the duck better.

Jamie hadn't noticed though, the pure joy on his face showing me exactly that. I mouthed 'thank you' to the boy, part of me stopping for a second to appreciate his good looks before realising I do in fact have a boyfriend. Even if I hadn't seen him in a few weeks.

Carter. My heart hurt a tiny bit, making me get the instant ick at myself for feeling any sort of clingy girlfriend emotion. I would not be that girl. I would just continue pretending that I don't in fact miss him and that I'm completely fine with my life and that I'm being forced to live against my will. Yeah, right. Totally believable.

I wonder what they were all doing right now. Did they even miss me? Were they bothering to look for me? Perhaps Ryan had left one of them idiotic notes like 'I need some space, don't contact me', those that you see in the movies and scream at the characters in the TV for listening to. Are my friends that silly? It is something I'd do - up and leave. Would they really believe that though?

"Penny for your thoughts?" The monster questioned, slotting his fingers through my own as if we were a couple.

Ugh. If I just screamed right now, would I be believed? Would anybody try and help me? I've watched way too many films where the person being kidnapped simply breaks down in public, and the kidnapper plays it off that they have a mental illness. Nobody would believe me. Ryan was the master at manipulation like that.

"I was just thinking about..." What was I thinking about? My boyfriend - yes, tell him that. Ryan would love that thought. Idiot. I laughed as Jamie picked the biggest prize that he could from the young lad. "How much I'm enjoying this."

"Look what I've won Amelia! Look!" He jumped up and down with such energy, I wondered if he might combust.

A large cuddly lion was held in his arms, the stuffed toy being almost larger than Jamie himself. Who would think that one simple game of hook-a-duck, rigged or not rigged, would lead to so much happiness? We thanked the boy behind the counter once again, before walking further into the fairground - Ryan still with a firm grip on my hand.

"Ryan - hey look! Look how big that man is! He'd squish you!" Jamie announced suddenly, in awe at the man on stilts wandering between stalls.

"He wouldn't squish me..." But I heard nothing more of Ryan's voice, choosing to block out that irritating squeak that came out of his mouth.

Without Ryan here, it would be the perfect autumn night. Everybody is wrapped up warm, hot chocolates in hand, wandering through the slight mud from stall to stall. It was almost completely dark out, even though it was merely 7pm, meaning that the kids would tire themselves out and crash in bed really early - the perfect evening for most parents.

It was my favourite type of night.