Chapter 40

The sky was overcast now, the deep grey clouds blocking any stars that attempted to shine. You could tell a storm was coming, almost as if the weather could tell that I was about to explode. I couldn't take this. I had too much hope inside of me. We were finally getting out. They were finally going to find us.

We were going to be free.

"Tell me everything you told that boy back there. Now." The monster spat as he forcefully put the car in gear and reversed us away from the fun fair.

I refused to look at him, trying to block out his endless rants as I stared out of the window ahead. He had forced me into the passenger seat, locking the car before climbing in the driver's seat himself so that I couldn't run. I wouldn't try, not without Jamie right next to me - and he was in the back, so I wouldn't have been able to get him out quick enough either.

"Tell me!" He roared, slamming his hands against the steering wheel.

"You're a monster." I whispered, chuckling slightly at how fast his mood had changed.

I couldn't believe that this was the same man who was racing Jamie to the candy floss line just an hour ago. How could his mood change so fast? He honestly appeared to be a different person so quickly, that I almost couldn't believe that he was the same person at all.

"Did you get him to call the police? What did you do Amelia? Tell me!" He screamed at the top of his lungs, the spray from his words hitting me in the face.

"I didn't tell him anything." I retorted, a smirk plastered on my face.

"You little bitch, don't lie to me!"

I could feel the car accelerating faster now, almost making me hesitant to speak any further about what I'd done. The country lanes were almost empty, but the bends in each road made the speed feel so much worse than it probably was.

"Just," He sighed, as if trying to calm himself down. "Please. Tell me what you told him. I need to sort the situation out. We can't continue this way, Amelia. We need some trust. I thought we were doing well."

"Alright," I held my hands up, surrendering. "I gave him a number to ring. To tell them I'm ok."

"Who's number?"

I knew that the slight wave of adrenaline that I had gotten from giving them Carter's number had gone to my head, the possibility of being freed looming so close that I almost wanted to just tell Ryan everything to see the look on his face. I had to hold back though, I had to not give too much away until they could find us.

"That's not important. Just somebody I know from the town, I knew that they'd be worried about me. You want less people on your back don't you?"

I prayed that the boy saw which exit we took out of the fun fair, as the road we were currently on was one long road with no other road's turning on or off of it. Easy to find us - if they were coming. If the boy had even rang them.

"It was that boy, the boy I saw you with - the one you were looking for at your birthday party? The one you called your boyfriend." His knuckles went white, gripping onto the wheel.

"No-" I exclaimed, inwardly groaning as I had realised my slip up.

I'd answered too quickly. Ryan didn't care though, he just continued screaming at me. I wasn't even sure if he heard me.

"Don't even think for a second I haven't noticed that silly little symbol on your wrist either." Ryan grabbed my wrist then, yanking it towards himself whilst looking at the tattoo in disgust. I winced in pain before he shook his head one last time before throwing my arm back to me.