fourteen

"This is your manager?" questioned the middle-aged, wrinkling prune that narrowed his eyes in suspicion. "I believe I spoke to someone else before."

Before Rayan could jump to her aid, Naira gave his director a sickly, sweet smile that challenged a bucket of sugar. "You did, but there's new management now."

"Are you sure you're experienced enough to discuss a revised contract with me?"

Her smile did not falter, but the frigid glaciers returned to her turbulent brown eyes, a storm brewing within. "Whether I am experienced or not, according to your standards, is not in the company's best interest, nor is it any of your business. I am his manager, and I'd appreciate if we could run this meeting along since I do have other engagements as a manager," she said with an edge to her tone. When the director still didn't move, she arched her brow. "Well, if you're going to waste my time-"

This snapped him out of it. "Follow me," he gruffed, turning on his heel.

Rayan blew out a small whistle as he followed her. "Remind me to never get on your bad side," he joked.

"When are you ever on my good side?"

"Don't be mean."

"If I was being mean, I would have tried harder," she remarked dryly.

"Ouch, Naira," he feigned hurt as he placed a hand on his chest. "Do you have to break my heart every time we're together?" The cheeky grin on his visage held amusement in them similar to the brightness in his eyes, sunlight reflecting off like a bucket of emeralds shining among a crystal sea.

A small laugh slipped past her lips, a soft sound that unraveled whenever he was around, that left the safety of her walls at the youthful banter they engaged in. There was ease in being around Rayan, a type of safety where she could be herself, where she could crumble layers upon layers of concrete around her heart and let the warmth of his voice melt her insides.

Of course, she was being crazy, even by her standards.

Even though her laugh was subtle, she noticed from the corner of her eyes that Rayan stared back at her with an unreadable expression as if in awe. His eyes drank in her appearance like an ocean tide chasing over the misty sand, wild and free, and soon he laughed along with her.

The grump ahead of them, cleared his throat as he stopped, gesturing for them to take a seat. Since they were still on set, the room was small, but just as luxurious as expected for a Hollywood director. Velvet, candy apple red drapes fell over the silver window frames like a cape of royalty, allowing dappled light to peek through the shadows and the gold-rimmed furnitures. There were elegant cushions made of the softest silks along with fairy lights to amplify the mystical lure that swept many off their feet.

Not her.

To Naira, it was only an illusion to the backward contracts that usually formed. Her smile fell as she took her seat, pulling her beige coat closer to her body. Rayan took a seat adjacent to her, leaving a comfortable amount of space between them while the director sat across, a coffee table separating them. 

"I wanted to discuss some changes we'd like to enact," he began, pushing some papers towards her. "Given the positive attention with the newly released trailer, we believe Rayan has potential to be a top actor in a major TV series instead of this one."

Naira nodded, glancing through the potential offers he was given. "I see, well it's not surprising given how talented he is," she admitted. "The contract he currently has prevents him from starring in other roles."

"Yes, which is why I needed to speak with his... manager," he strained himself to say, shaking his head in disbelief. "Regardless, I want to terminate the contract to allow him to lead in another movie of mine."

At this, Naira's interest perked up. "New movie?"

Rayan did not entertain the idea. "I already said no," he stated firmly, arms crossed. "I have no need for extra publicity in movies when I have enough on my plate as is."

The director sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Rayan, we talked about this."

"And I still say no."

"But you would make so much more money and increase our ratings significantly. You saw the statistics from the trailer. Just imagine the height of your popularity," he tried to reason. 

Rayan shook his head. "I already am popular, and I refuse to be saddled down by agencies that try to use my fame for their own agenda."

The director glanced at Naira for help. "Surely, you understand how wonderful this opportunity is even with your qualifications." His nose twitched at the mention of her skills as if irritated that he had to reason with Naira. 

She chose to let it slide, meeting Rayan's gaze instead, and the desperation in his eyes as he tried to get out of the shackles the industry tortured him with. His lips were set in a worried frown, and his jaw clenched the more the director pressured him, but Naira saw the fear masked behind his stillness, saw his posture tense as if she would betray him for the sake of money. 

Turning back to the director, she smiled. "I'm afraid I can't force Rayan to do something against his will," she said with an even tone, eyes daring to challenge the director as they held the same fiery determination that rippled like rubies. "He has his reasons, and as his manager I do what's best for him."

The director's jaw clenched, grip tightening on the armrest. "I advise you to think carefully of what is truly best for him."

Naira began to stand up. "I believe we are done here," she dismissed, hooking her purse on her shoulder. She gestured for Rayan to follow. "If there's anything else about his current contract with you, let us know."

Without another glance, she headed out, Rayan hot on her heels. They didn't wait to be dismissed, nor did they bow at the director's feet. Why should she? He practically belittled her based on her appearance, and though the thought boiled her blood like an erupting volcano, she knew better than to act on emotions alone.

After all, the impulsive behavior of business always lead to the erasure of a legacy.

----

Thank God I'm not a business major, like this sounds painful.

Lol, director dude really thought he could disrespect Naira and get away with it. What a good joke.

Why do you think Rayan refused a better opportunity?

Don't forget to vote, comment, and follow!