36

Cullen's POV

I walked into the restaurant and saw everyone seated all around; immediately, my eyes were on her. She looked amazing. More beautiful than I even remembered. She took my breath away for a moment. I stepped forward toward the table, watching as Tarran wrapped her arms around Avery, and they embraced. Our eyes met after that, and I could feel a rush all through my body. She smiled at me, but I couldn't bring myself to return it, so I nodded. Why a nod? I have no idea. Her face fell after she returned the nod and sat back in her seat; I immediately felt terrible. I tried desperately to fight the urge to stare at her. She was stunning sitting there. She looked more mature perhaps; I couldn't quite put my finger on it. For the last year, I had been missing her. Seeing her here right in front of me, I missed her more than I had in all that time. She talked with her friends about Christmas plans; my heart was hurting, wishing her plans were with me.

We should be together, in our house with our baby. I shook the thoughts out of my head as Tarran asked me about going over to Avery's apartment after dinner. I wanted to go to her immediately, embrace her and take her back to her apartment, just she and I, but I knew I couldn't do that. I answered Tarran coldly, trying not to show my emotions. Years in the Marines helped develop that skill. A few minutes after I answered her, I saw Avery texting on her phone. I was a little jealous that she was messaging someone until my phone beeped, letting me know the person was me.

"Can we please talk? I don't want to do this through text, and I don't want to be in front of everyone, but I want to talk to you. -Avery"

I had been waiting for her to reach out to me for 365 long days. I was over the moon. She had finally reached out to me, even sitting across the table from me. I wanted to respond and tell her, of course, I wanted to talk; I've been waiting. But I resisted that urge, as hard as it was. It was so hard; I had to get up from the table and walk away so I couldn't see her or hear her. I didn't care if anyone saw me walk off; I went straight to my truck and climbed in. It was freezing out and starting to snow again, so I got the heat going and laid my head back on the seat. I took a deep breath, and when I looked out the window, I saw her exit the restaurant. I was surprised; she was coming to look for me. I watched her walk past the truck and barely say my name. I could barely hear it, but God, it was amazing hearing my name from her lips again. She was freezing, rubbing her arms and shivering. As she went to head back into the restaurant, I felt bad, so I decided to text her.

"In my truck. - Cullen."

I watched as she turned, looking at my truck then making her way to me. My heart started beating faster and faster as she opened the truck door. She climbed in; I could tell she was soaking in the heat; I turned it up for her before she opened the door and hit the seat warmer. I stared ahead, though, not wanting to see into her eyes just yet. To my surprise, she immediately thanked me. I was shocked. I couldn't help but ask her what she was thanking me for. Then she answered. Always so polite and sweet, damn. I spit out you're welcome before trying to put my emotionless face back on. I listened to her ramble on. My heart, breaking a little hearing how broken she said she had been, I had known, but to hear her say it, brought all of those memories back.

I wasn't sure what to say, and I couldn't say anything even if I had wanted to; my girl was babbling on and on. My girl, ugh. I missed that. I let her ramble, and before I could give any response, everyone was piling out of the restaurant. Avery sat for a second before hopping out and going to Tarran. I watched them talk and embrace before Avery went to get into Derrick's ride. I silently cursed myself for not speaking up; I just couldn't, not yet. Tarran made sure to curse me on her own, though, quite loudly.

"What the hell, Cullen?" She griped, climbing into the truck, Millie getting into the backseat.

"What?" I snapped back.

New Beginnings.जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें