57

Chapter 57.1
"Nannan, these are freshly picked dates; they're very sweet, I've washed them. Would you like to have a taste?"

"Nannan, Nannan, I have a pomegranate here. It's sweet too, oh.  I'll peel it for you!"

"I brought a few grapefruit slices..."

"I filled a bowl of sliced pickled carrots..."

Before Liu Yusheng knew what was going on, her little friends all gathered around her.

One by one, they looked at her eagerly, hoping to be the chosen one...

She didn't even know what her brothers told them.

"You rarely get to eat these stuff yourselves, do you?"

Country kids didn't have much to eat. It was rare enough for the family to buy a few pieces of candy occasionally, so what they looked forward to most was the season when wild fruits ripened in the mountains.

By then, they could pick fruits and taste the freshness, slaking their cravings.

This time, in exchange for the fruit wine, they must have taken out all the things they were reluctant to eat.

"Nannan, you eat it. We can pick them again if we want to."

"Yes, Nannan, you eat."

Liu Yusheng looked at them and stretched out her little hand, taking a little from each one, but couldn't consume all of them.

Even the little boy who was holding a small bowl and was a little timid and embarrassed, she ate a piece of sour radish in front of him.

It was so sour that she almost lost her teeth.

"Brother, I like to eat all of these."

The little friends turned their heads and looked at Liu Zhixia and Liu Zhiqiu.

"Alright, alright, come here. Everyone takes a sip. Don't drink too much ah." Lu Zhiqiu took out the water flagon, pulled out the cork and handed it to them.

Liu Yusheng, on the other hand, distributed the various fruits she was holding to her brothers. "There's too much stuff. I can't eat it all by myself, so brother help me eat some."

Liu Zhixia looked at her, then at the pomegranate in her hand. He didn't eat it, and instead stuffed it into his pocket.

When Liu Zhiqiu saw his brother's action, he paused eating his grapefruit, halved that part he didn't nibble on, and stuffed it into his pocket as well.

On the side, the flagon had been passed around in the little friends' hands.

Dabao licked his lips to relish the taste of the fruit wine and his eyes sparkled. "It has a grape flavor, sweet and fragrant, it's delicious!"

"Yummy! Zhixia, Zhiqiu, is this the kind of fruit wine that will be made in the winery in the future?"

"Can I have another sip? I drank it too fast and didn't even taste it!"

Liu Zhixia took back the flagon, laughing as he scolded, "Beat it! Zhiqiu and I haven't even drunk it yet. We only have half a flagon, no more than one sip each."

"Then can we have an exchange to drink it again later?"

"As long as you have something good to trade."

"Deal, don't go back on your word!"

With the crackling noise of the hay burning and the laughter of the children around the field, that autumn night was particularly cheerful and lively.