70

Chapter 70.1
5/5 Bonus chapters

Axiu looked at the vendor with lips pursed. "Six Wen, I only have this much. Are you selling?"

On closer inspection, there was a blush of shame that spread over his ears. He had never bargained for anything he bought.

It wasn't that he couldn't get 10 Wen. He could ask his mother for some, but the things he bought for Shengsheng, he only wanted to use his own money.

And six Wen was all he had saved for almost a year.

The peddler looked up and down at Axiu, then at the adults laughing silently behind him, and finally nodded his head in embarrassment. "Forget it. I think you guys are also a good match. There's no profit in selling it to you for six Wen. But the little girl looks pretty. Wearing this red hair band of mine will surely keep the little ones envious."

He spoke while taking down the red hair band on the stall, carefully rolled it up and handed it to Axiu.

Axiu, on the other hand, pulled out the only six Wen he had from his lapel and put it in the peddler's hand.

He spread out the new and colorful red hair band in front of Liu Yusheng's eyes, the little boy's eyes shy and bright. "Shengsheng, for you."

Gazing at the dazzling red in the boy's palm, Liu Yusheng took it over, then placed it in her own little pocket with great care, her pretty eyes curving into crescent moons. "Thank you Brother Axiu! I love it!"

Axiu's lips quietly quirked up, his dark eyes dense with light breeze tenderness. Her liking it was better than anything else.

The bond between two little children, between two little kids, made the adults who were following behind, smile at each other.

Liu Zhixia and Liu Zhiqiu also turned back this time and respectively dragged the two kids forward. "There are many snacks up front, let's go eat wonton, then beef noodles, and then eat a huge pie!"

The cheerful voices of children, interspersed with the noise, were still loud.

The tiny kids squeezed through the crowd, and were almost drowned out.

Facing a group of people in the third floor elegant room of a restaurant, someone by the window looked down, then withdrew his gaze. "How's the investigation going?"

"Master, I went to the magistrate's office to investigate, and there have been no newcomers households for the past two years. This place is far from the capital and in such a remote location. Could they have never come to this place at all?" Behind the man stood a figure dressed all in black, bowing low while answering.

The man sitting, replied noncommittal, "It's possible to escape and hide out somewhere without registering. You must check carefully, so as not to miss anything. That group is also in hot pursuit and will soon be checking this way. We have to get this done quickly before they do."

After a moment's silence, he said, "Has anything quite unusual happened around here lately?"

"Things in this small town are nothing more than a bit of thievery and petty fights. But speaking of something quite unusual, there were rather one or two. In the last two months, there's been a village around town, where three people had accidents in quick succession. One person died, and two others are said to be missing, and have never been found. In my opinion, they're mostly likely dead."

"How did the other one die?"

"He went to the latrine in the middle of the night, fell into the latrine and drowned. But before he died, he seemed to have been beaten and his hand was broken."