near death experience

Today was different. Apart from almost everything in the school, one thing had changed. One person had changed. Saiki caught on almost instantly. It made him feel at ease that he could finally hear your thoughts.
You had sport today so you didn't want to risk getting your earrings caught on something or losing them while changing so you left them at home, safe and sound in their little jewellery box. Saiki could finally figure out what type of person you were and if you were truly hiding things behind your seemingly normal personality. Of course, you weren't. You just talked a lot more in your head than out loud.

I really hope I don't screw this up! It's okay, you can do it! New school, new friends, new opportunities to fit in. You were good at sport, not the absolute best but better than most of the average people in your class. Including Saiki (or so you were encouraged to believe with his perfectly average performance).

Mikoto grabbed the edge of Saiki's shirt, pulling him to a corner.
What is it? People are staring. Mikoto
Mikoto looked in your direction as she spoke to Saiki.
"The mark... of death. Her face... She's in... trouble" Mikoto was panting after laps around the basketball court. Saiki's eyes widened slightly.
Were her earrings really protecting her? No way.

You heard Hairo call out to you and wave you towards him. He needed help packing up the volleyball poles. As you lifted the pole out of the hole in the ground, Hairo made conversation, complimenting you on your volleyball skills.
"Thank you, so much! I've been playing for a few years so I'd be surprised if you hadn't noticed" you half-jokingly stated, causing the red head to chuckle.

"Watch out!"
The pole that you held between your hands had flung too high on your way to the store room, hitting the glass basketball board that clung to the ceiling of the gymnasium. Now, it was crashing down at you faster than the speed of light. Even someone as athletic as Hairo wouldn't be able to reach you in time.
This is the end. Or so you thought.

The crowd cheered, some gasped and some stood petrified at the almost death of their newest classmate. It was then followed by applause. Someone had saved you. You had been pushed out of the way, curled up in a ball in fear under the build of a strong person. As you slowly opened your eyes to thank your savior, you were surprised to be met with Hairo. You could've sworn he would've never made it in time.

Ha, you thought. I was too far to reach her so I gave Hairo a little push.
"Are you okay? Thank you so much, Hairo! I owe you my life!" you had both stood up, your hands grabbed his, tears were building up in your eyes.
That was the scariest moment of my life.
"To tell you the truth, I'm not quite sure how I made it on time." Felt like someone gave me a giant push. (Hairo)
His hand reached the back of his head, awkwardly accepting your gratitude while feeling like he didn't quite deserve it. He used the other to pat you on the head, causing you to blush and shy away from him and the conversation.
Hairo is amazing! I didn't think anyone with that much speed and power existed!

Saiki felt your heart race. Or maybe it was his. From the exercise of course. He strangely felt like telling you that someone with that much speed and power did exist and it was Saiki himself.

Saiki got his mind off his confused feelings, they would go away soon anyway. He's a psychic, an all-powerful being after all. He turned to Mikoto, who knew his question before he asked and was shaking her head in response. The mark of death was still plastered on your face. Maybe the stone in her earrings are something like germanium (an element that makes Saiki unable to use his telepathy) but stronger and with all my powers.