03| Mate

-:Cecelia's PoV:-

Alarms suck, I knew. But they suck royally when you're a werewolf with sensitive hearing. Serafine growled in my head as I jumped up, covering my ears, wincing.

'Shut the damned thing off,' she clawed at the insides of my brain.

'God, Sera, relax!' I cried as I slapped my hand down on my clock. As soon as I did that, we were greeted with resounding silence. Sera panted in my head loudly, still mad.

'I swear, every day, Ce.' She gritted out. I laughed.

'I have to wake up on time, so I need them and you know it.' I replied.

She grumbled incoherently before blocking me out. She was being touchy that day. I yawned, stretched, and got to my work. I'd be starting school today. First day of sitting in class with my pack after six years.

Sigh.

I wondered how Callie was. She was the person I knew most about personally. I don't remember much, but from what I do, she was quite perky and demanding. She was like my twin sister in mannerisms back then. She seemed different from what I noticed in the past two days. I didn't spend a lot of time with her, all with talking to Julian and Liana and training and studying.

Yes, I was serious about my studies. There was no guarantee my mate will be a millionaire. I just didn't want to risk it. Even if he was, I don't want to be the kind of person who relies completely on her mate, you know? I liked being completely independent. But that was just how I was. It's not wrong to depend on your mate. That's what most she-wolves did since the males tend to be increasingly dominant and possessive. If it makes them feel safe, loved, and secure then so be it.

I brushed my teeth and threw on my jogging gear. I pulled my hair back in a sleek ponytail. I wasn't surprised to see fading bruises on my arms and face - the product of yesterday's relentless training. I shrugged at no one in particular and locked the door behind me. I knew my way around the territory so I wasn't worried. Training for school-going kids was in the evening before dinner on weekdays. Mornings were for warriors and adults.

I ran through the forest swiftly, enjoying nature. I was expecting Sera to come out and say something, comment, or just observe nature like she always does but she didn't. I guessed she was still mad about this morning. I came across the stream that separated our territory from our neighboring packs. It was deep, but not much. We swam in it often. At least we used to.

I sat down there for a while to catch my breath. Five minutes, I told myself. This would be my five-mile marker. Exactly five minutes later, I got up and made my return journey. I said polite good mornings to the fellow pack members who'd woken up as I made my way. I was drenched in sweat by the time I made it back to my room.

I showered and made sure to cover my bruises. I wore a sweatshirt to hide my arms and wore my hair open and on one side to hide the one on my jaw. I grabbed my keys and bag, pocketing my phone. I ran down the two flights of stairs to the dining hall on the ground floor. Most of the school-going teens were there by then.

I grabbed myself an apple and a banana and downed a glass of milk. I pecked my mother's cheek, hugged my dad, fist-bumped Aaron, and was on my way for school in my brand new car (they bought me that as a homecoming gift).

Our school was mostly werewolves, but there were a fair amount of humans here for us to be cautious. I parked in the parking lot and made my way to the office. I got my new locker number, time table and got a map printed in case I ever needed it. I walked to my locker, stuffed all my books that Aaron got me the day before in it, shutting it close.