35| Too Easy

This chapter is dedicated to @BardofStories. Thank you for adding my book to your reading list!! It made me really happy.❤❤

-:Cecelia's PoV:-

I couldn't sleep. Despite being hugged and snuggled in Ashton's embrace, my brain wouldn't shut down. I counted sheep, cows, numbers. Everything. I concentrated on my breathing. I tried to scent Ashton. 

Nothing. 

Nada.

I was filled with trepidation. I just had a bad feeling, like we were missing something very obvious. A premonition. And I didn't like it.

Ashton woke up twice because of me. He was a heavy sleeper so that made me guilty. He had felt my anxiety. He'd tried to calm me down. I couldn't calm down and shut my brain so I'd just blocked my emotions and thoughts from him. I'd lied that I was okay. He gave me a 'yeah, right' look but didn't push me. He'd sweetly told me that everything would be okay, kissed my forehead, and tried to stay awake with me. He'd tried to put me to sleep but ended up going back to sleep himself.

At the crack of dawn, I shook him awake. I didn't sleep all night. I probably looked like a zombie. But he just wished me a good morning and told me I looked adorable.

I swear, that guy.

Sera wouldn't speak to me. She was acting weird. All she did was agree that something felt off and then block me out.

That made my dread grow exponentially.

We quickly freshened up and hurried to the War Council meeting. Julian and Ashton were all into the discussion and strategizing but I couldn't think straight. I was sleep-deprived and anxious. I made sure to block my emotions from Ashton so as not to distract him.

"So, it's decided. We will attack at two-thirty in the afternoon. We start moving at half-past twelve to reach there early and position ourselves. Any questions?" Alpha  Summers asked. I snapped out of my dreamland at that.

"Umm, I have one," I said tentatively.

"Go ahead," he nodded.

"How many warriors are staying back to protect the packs?" I asked. He blinked.

"About a total of fifty from both sides," he answered.

"Isn't that too . . . less?" I bit my lip, "I mean, all the children and most women from our packs will be practically defenseless that way."

"Ms. Rivers, are you suggesting that fifty warriors together are incapable of protecting the packs in our absence?"

"I didn't mean that," I protested. "It's just that . . . I don't know, we are going after the biggest threat. But there are so many others out there too. Are we sure we can hold up without both our Alphas, Betas, and Pack Warriors?"

He pursed his lips.

"Seventy," Dad said.

We turned to him.

"We can leave seventy behind to ease your malaise," he said. "They'll protect you just fine."

My mind went blank for a second.

"Excuse me?" I finally said.

"I said, w-"

"I heard what you said," I interrupted. "And that's what I have a problem with. I am not staying back. I'm going with you guys."

He looked at me like I'd lost my wits.

"You're obviously sleep deprived. You don't mean that," he said incredulously. I saw red.