34| Stressed

-:Cecelia's PoV:-

Anybody who was paying attention that day would have known that Ash and I had mated completely. Fortunately, unfortunately, my parents and brother were not among them.

Shocker.

Sometimes I felt as if I was just a formality. Someone who was not part of the family, just an extension that everybody was sort of mindful of. I had these moods where I would think that I pushed them away, that it was on me. Other times, I just blamed them. I didn't know where we went wrong, really. We stayed in touch. We knew we still love each other. Then where was the problem?

Moving in with Grandma and back was hard. A new city, a new pack, new rules. I lost old contacts. But I made better ones. Ones that would fly halfway across the country just because their best friend is in danger. The danger she didn't even know about.

I'd take that unconditional love kind of friendship over bullying and judgmental thinking type of selfish friendship any day.

Ashton was staying the night. We didn't tell anyone explicitly but he had arrived there around our training time. He had stayed since. He had brought his books and a change of clothes with him. We had dinner in my room with Julian joining us.

Yeah, that guy just adored third-wheeling and meddling.

Kind of reminded me of me when he found Liana.

Still no regrets. Nope.

After dinner, Ashton and I pointedly took out our books and sat down to study. Julian still didn't take the hint. We buried our heads in the books, ignoring him. Still no. It was when Liana called me that I had a bomber idea.

Two birds with one stone.

'I'll be back,' I told Ash through the link. He gave me a nod and smile before resuming his Calculus worksheet. 

I picked up the phone with a purpose. Her deadline was over. I pulled Julian out of the room with me and signaled him to open his room. He did so with a frown. He sat down on his chair looking at me questioningly but I didn't respond.

I accepted the video call.

"Deadline's over, babe," I addressed her without preamble. Her eyes widened.

"Lia, please-"

"Your scent must've definitely changed by now, Liana. How much longer?"

She gulped. Julian looked at me quizzically upon hearing the predicament in his mate's voice.

"Fine." She said after a long pause. I passed my phone to Julian.

A long pause and a few pleasantries later, she just spat it out. She finally spat it out.

Result: Julian finally knew. And the guy was in shock. So much shock that he dropped the phone and left an already anxious Liana hanging and crying.

That idiot.

I picked up the phone and coaxed a hysteric Liana a little before disconnecting the call.

I slapped my best friend on the face. Hard.

His head snapped up, his eyes black. He growled.

"Oh, shut up," I rolled my eyes. "And tell your human to get a grip."

He growled at me again.

"That won't work on me, Elijah. Do it. Your mate is losing it as we speak," I threw the phone at him. He caught it with ease.