43| Complicated

-:Cecelia's POV:-

I felt like an idiot for not having confided in Ashton sooner. Telling him exactly what I felt and had been dealing with without censoring it was a huge weight lifted off my shoulders. I felt freer than I had in ages. I could breathe again.

He listened to everything silently. He was the perfect listener. At one point, I was scared that he would leave me after that. That he would see I was nothing more than a selfish girl who was not worthy of his time and love. But I shut that thought as soon as it formed.

He was there, sitting beside me. He loved me. I trusted him.

Despite all my bravado, I was scared to look at him the entire time I was speaking. I kept staring across the stream to that tree which I thought of as ours. I found comfort in that.

When I finished, he was quiet for so long. I felt myself getting scared again. He would have felt it if I hadn't been actively blocking my thoughts and emotions from him for all these months. 

He reacted in the most 'Ashton' way possible. 

He blamed himself. He said he wished he had been more approachable. I wanted to smack his head upside down to get him to stop. As cute and endearing as he was being, the whole thing was my fault and I refused to let him take the blame for it. We quickly sorted it out.

We talked all night that day. It felt like old times. We addressed all the elephants in the room. We laughed, cried, got mad, and just talked. We caught up with each other. We ended up watching the sunrise sitting there. It was Monday but we decided to skip school. We made plans to spend the day out of the Pack borders.

It's safe to say that that day our relationship became stronger than it ever was before and I couldn't be happier.

****************************

I landed on my back with a loud thud again and groaned.

"Be gentle," Xavier growled.

"She told me to not hold back and you didn't protest then!" 

"That was then. Now I'm telling you to be-"

"Ash, no." I grimaced, getting up. "I'm good."

School had finished and we'd graduated with flying colors. We were training in our spacious front yard and I had asked David to help me.  Ashton couldn't fight me because Xavier kept holding him back. Xavier felt that I was too frail now. It was his instinct to protect. That's why they watched over the training rather than being a part of it. Until Ashton lost control. 

Exhibit A.

I sat up determinedly, climbing back to my feet swiftly.

"See?" David waved a hand towards me. Xavier growled threateningly at him. I coughed loudly to get their attention and glared at them when I succeeded. Xavier scowled but then their eyes cleared and I was met with hazel again. 'Sorry,' he mouthed apologetically and looked away.

I sighed. I'd told him multiple times that he did not have to be here and watch me train. But he still came. Every day for the past month and a half since I got back on the field, he would lurk on the sidelines or watch from afar, wincing every time I was tackled to the ground or get hit. At times, he would lose control and Xavier would come forward. Like today. 

I was still much powerful than an actual human - as I found out when I resumed training again - but a wolf had considerably more strength than me and the fact that I had done next to no physical activity for five months had not been doing me any favors. I was much better than I had been about fifty days ago when I started but I could use a lot of work.