04| Mine

-: Ashton's POV:-

Xavier refused to say anything. He didn't comment when I woke up early to train with the warriors, he had no remarks when I was being sloppy with my technique, he didn't even snap at me with all the mate bullshit when I flirted with Brianna.

I gave up after my last attempt to get a rise out of him failed. I jogged home after training. I showered and got dressed - a pair of blue jeans and a plain white tee shirt. I put on my leather jacket and let my hair air dry. I grabbed my bag and keys, lacing up my sneakers. I walked out to see mom cooking breakfast.

"Good morning, mom," I kissed her cheek. She smiled at me as she flipped my pancakes. Once she was satisfied, she piled them high on my plate and poured honey and syrup all over it. She pushed the plate towards me. 

"More," I whined, pointing at honey. I could never have enough of that stuff. She chuckled while doing as I asked. She ruffled my hair affectionately as I devoured my breakfast.  

"Thanks," I said as I chugged down a glass of milk.

"Are you full?" She asked. "I could make you more."

"I'm full," I assured her distractedly.

"What is it, Ash?" She asked, her gaze penetrating my soul. 

"Xavier is acting weird today," I confessed. She smiled lightly. "What?" I asked, confused by her reaction.

"Maybe you'll finally find your mate today," she said dreamily. I looked at her in amusement. Even though she was my Luna, she was only my mother when we were here at home, always wishing weird stuff, dreaming and fantasizing about how well my life would turn out. She liked to involve herself in my life.

"Maybe," I sighed. I glanced at the time and realized I was late. I bid her bye, she kissed my forehead and wished me a good day. I gave her a blinding smile.

Hayden and Noel were patiently waiting for me in front of my house. They were freshly showered and ready to go. We climbed into my jeep and I drove us to our new school - a last attempt to find our mates. They conversed the entire way, but I couldn't bring myself to be attentive and join in. 

I parked in an empty space in the parking lot and climbed out. A hand on my shoulder brought me back to the land of the living. My friends had apparently asked me a question.

"Hun?" I asked and Hayden gave me a knowing look.

"We said, are you up for patrolling tonight?" Noel repeated his question.

"Sure," I shrugged. "When am I not?"

"What's up with you, Ash?" Hayden asked. I sighed.

"I don't know," I ran a hand through my hair. "Xavier won't speak to me." As many differences, my wolf and I had his silence bothered me. Hayden quirked an eyebrow.

"At all?" He asked.

"Nothing. Even when I flirted with Bree," I nodded. 

"That's weird, man," Noel chimed in.

"I know," I dragged a hand down my face and walked into the building. We located the office, got our timetables, and walked to our first class, which we happened to have together. I remembered that Bree had the same class so I mind-linked her to save me a seat.

Somewhere in the hallways, Xavier started stirring. I almost stopped when a scent made my mouth water. The smell of honey and citrus with undertones of spice in it. The way Xavier suddenly perked up, I knew it was my mate.