thirty nine

Jerome threw his unconscious brother into the back of the van. He then stepped up into the back, kicking the leg of Jeremiah just to make sure he was out cold. He looked back at Rory, his face was stern. He hadn't said anything to her, he had just dragged her out of the strange bunker, this pensive look glued onto his face the entire time. He lent out a hand to her to help her get into the van, Rory was confused by the action but she reluctantly took it. As she clambered up into the back of the vehicle, Rory heard her name being called.

"Aurora!" It was her fathers voice, it echoed around her. Her stomach flipped. She turned slowly to see Jim running towards them, trampling through the forest. Jerome, who had also heard Jim's call, instantly pulled Rory in front of him, using her as a shield against her fathers wrath. His arms wrapping around her torso pressing her back into him. That same jolt of energy and warmth shot through her at his touch, causing a shiver to trickle through her.

Jerome let out a shrill laugh as he stood holding Jim's daughter. The sound making Rory flinch. He then whispered into her ear as the two of them watched her father approach, gun in hand.

"You're not going anywhere with him."

For some reason, this triggered a wave of relief through Rory. She frowned at this feeling, as Jerome looked back up to the police captain with a smirk.

"You're becoming quite a nuisance, Jimbo!" Jerome teased, looking at the detective with a manic grin.

"Rory!" Jim yelled again, getting closer to them, his knuckles white as he tightly gripped his small revolver. He was relieved to see her alive.

"Let her go Jerome!" He demanded raising his gun to the manic.

Again, another shrill giggle came from Jerome, making Rory jump.

"Now why would I do that?" Jerome quizzed, his arms tightening around Rory's frame, causing her to gasp, she gripped his forearms in a weak attempt to stop him from hurting her.

"A lot has happened since you last saw your daughter, Captain. Sweetheart, why don't you explain to your father why you're not going to be going home with him." Jerome spoke slyly, his grip loosening a little at Rory's uncomfortable response.

Rory didn't say anything for a moment. She was taking in her fathers expression. She herself was disoriented, the feeling of Jerome's touch, his chest heaving into hers as he waited in anticipation for her to speak, the buzz of his energy wriggling under her skin, it was all getting overwhelming. It was like she was high. She didn't even realise what he had said until her father called out to her again.

"What is he talking about Rory?"

"I-" Her throat was dry and coarse. Tears started to prick her eyes as she looked at her father. Jerome's touch, his aura, was consuming her.

"I'm married to him." She choked out, her hands squeezing Jerome's arms as she watched her fathers face crack.

"What!" Jim yelled, stepping closer to them. Rory could see the rage in her fathers eyes.

"I don't believe you!" He snapped, readjusting his grip on his gun.

"Oh?" Jerome smirked. He removed his left arm from the tight hold he had on Rory, revealing the melted wedding ring. He wiggled his fingers at the detective, then gently took Rory's wrist and showed Jim the matching gold band that was forged into her finger.

"You bastard!" Jim spat, who in the heat of his anger, shot at them. Rory yelped at the sound of the gun being fired, instinctively pressing into Jerome in panic. Jim missed them, the bullet leaving a dent in the open van door.

"Ooo! Now that was unexpected Gordon! I guess Christmas is off the table," Jerome taunted as he readjusted his hold on Rory, pulling her back into the van.

"I don't understand! How does she have anything to do with this, Jerome!" Jim yelled, suppressing his rage.

"Oh she has everything to with this, you're just to sane to see it!" Jerome jibed back.

Rory's adrenaline was zooming through her as she listened to the two of them. Something clicked inside her. She realised why she had felt relieved to stay with Jerome. Even if her dad was successful in taking her home and removing her from Jerome's madness, he would find her. He would destroy everything to get to her again, like he had done in the police station, and the circus and in the hospital. By staying with him she knew that there was more chance of her saving lives by putting herself at risk. After all, it's placing the life of one over a thousand. She knew that she would never truly escape Jerome, even in death. If she just accepted that fact, instead of fighting against it like she had been doing l, then Lola would still be alive, her dad would be safe, thousands of casualties of Jerome's madness would have survived. She had an opportunity to slow down whatever evil plan Jerome was planning, all she had to do was play along with him, feed into his ego and she could prevent a thousand more lives being taken.

Maybe it was Tetch's hypnosis which made Rory feel this way, maybe it was Jerome's madness but she just knew that leaving her husband would create more pain and violence than stop it.

"Come on Aurora! You can fight him!" her father encouraged, his expression filled with desperate hope.

"I don't want to," Rory responded. Her words surprising both Jim and Jerome.

"Rory!" Jim pleaded.

She didn't say anything, she just closed her eyes, trying to swallow back tears. Her fathers face was too heartbreaking to bear. There was a moment of silence between the three of them as she tried to compose herself.

"I'm sorry," she said, looking away from her father.

"Goodbye Jim," Jerome spoke sternly, using the police captains shock as a chance to close the van doors. Just before the second door slammed shut, Rory whispered another apology under her breath, hoping that one day she could explain to her father that she had no other choice.

"Rory!" Jim yelled, snapping out of his shock. He ran for the van in a hopeless attempt to try and get his daughter back. But he had no luck.

The engine started and Jim watched as his daughter slipped out of his grasp once again

A/N - Yeah so, sorry for such a long wait between chapters, but I like to keep you all on your toes. Spontaneity over routine right? This book is at 87k reads which is unbelievable! I cannot believe that so many of you have read this book at enjoy it! Its insane!! Thank you so much, sorry for being so slow in publishing but I promise that things are going to get a lot more saucier. Just gotta trust the process!!

All the best,

- R. x