forty five

A/N: What?! Two updates in the space of a week?! It can't be!

Jim starred at the corkboard where pictures of Jerome, crime scenes, and blueprints were pinned to it. He had his hands on his hips as he studied the evidence in front of him. Jerome had taken the Wayne Industries blueprints when he had broken into the downtown offices, he had also used these blueprints to find and kidnap his brother, there had to be some other connection that could lead Jim back to his daughter.

For the past few weeks Jim had thrown himself into his work. The longer Jerome held Rory the more obsessive he had become. He knew that Harvey was paying too much attention to him, that there were certain limits that had been put in place around him, which he was not supposed to see, and he was grateful that despite his slow descent into obsession, his partner was keeping him firmly tied to his sanity. He had connected the dots when he arrived back at the police station after Jerome's kidnapping. The priest they had found at the church, with the words 'TO CHAOS' painted onto the cracked walls behind him, had been her wedding. Gordan's heart had broken at the thought of it, at the thought of what she was having to endure. It was that sorrow which kept him driven and it was what had lead him to try and piece together Jerome's plan.

Gordan's train of thought was broken when Harvey tapped him on his shoulder. He gave him a quick smile and handed him a cup of coffee. Jim mumbled thanks and turned back to look at the board.

"Do you want me to make it Irish?" Harvey quipped as he fell into his desk chair.

Jim continued to stare at the board, his brows knitted in a quizzical frown. He barely even understood what his friend had said to him. Harvey let out a slow sigh and twisted in his seat, "C'mon Jim, you've been staring at that board for days now, it's not just going to magically start talkin' to ya."

Jim remained focused, taking a sip from the steaming mug, not paying his partners concerns any mind.

"I just don't understand how she fits into all of this?" he finally said, his words sounding as exasperating and as lost as he felt. Jim turned to look at Harvey and pointed to the map.

"I mean why marry her, why drag her through this with him? What point is he trying to make with it?" the detective finally moved away from his spot, placing his coffee on his desk and taking a seat opposite his partner.

Harvey shrugged, "Jerome is insane, who knows why he is doing any of this- you said Rory has a condition, something which makes her desirable to him? Maybe the psycho is just keeping her around because of that- like Tetch did with his sister?"

Jim shook his head.

"If it were that simple, he wouldn't have brought her along to kidnap Jeremiah. Why bring along his trophy if he could so easily lose her? And why take the blueprints, what does Bruce Wayne have to do with wanting Rory?" Jim took another sip from his cup.

"Maybe it's separate, you know, Wayne enterprises is a multi-million dollar company, maybe Jerome wants money?" Harvey proposed, leaning back into his chair.

Jim wasn't satisfied with his answer and stood up again from his desk to look at the board. His hands slipping into his pockets. There had to be a reason, there had to be something that could lead Gordan back to her. The detective raked through the evidence in his mind again, retracing his steps, as he had done a hundred times before.

"Jerome stole the blueprints of all major skyscrapers which are owned by Wayne enterprises, as well as the blueprints to Bruce Wayne's mansion and Jeremiah's home, it can't be about money or else he would have just robbed a bank." Jim theorised pointing to the replica blueprints the Wayne company had provided the police with.