ten

Rory had tasted freedom. She sat in the audience, surrounded by crazy people, colours swirling and throwing themselves everywhere around her. Damn it, Josh she thought, why did he have to do this to her? Why couldn't she ever find a sane person in this city? As she sat there, pulling at her shackles, she found her self feeling pleased that Jerome had killed Josh.

When she caught her self thinking that she shivered. Yet again, like he always does, Jerome had gotten under her skin.  She damned him too. Channeling all the hatred in the world through one harsh glare, she wished that he would suddenly combust at her sight. But every time he looked at her, her heart sank and a knot tightened in the pit of her stomach. God why was she feeling like this??

This psycho killer stole her life away from her. He ruined everything. He killed and tormented those that she loved. Why was he so persistent? Why did it have to be her? How did she get this stupid curse? How could she get rid of it? These questions swirled in her head as she struggled against the chains that were holding her.

Jerome, was now prancing around the ring with a deranged smile on his deformed face. Every time Jerome threw something into the cannon Rory flinched. How could he do this to a child? She watched Bruce wriggle against his restraints, a feeling of dread swallowed her as she watched him through the swirls of colour.

She had a splitting headache from all the bright and wild colours that were floating around her. Jerome's aura was the brightest, it seemed to eat others. She couldn't look at him for too long, as it was like looking directly in the sun.  He stopped tormenting Bruce and turned to her, he was terrifying. She closed her eyes, she couldn't stand it here. It was too much for her to bear.

Rory found her self praying. She wasn't very religious but as she sat there in a whirlwind of insanity, prayer seemed to be the only thing that comforted her.

Please, whoever is up there, please let me survive this. Please let me live. Please let me escape Jerome.

Somebody yanked her handcuffs. She opened her eyes to Jerome's blinding aura and flinched. All around him was what seemed to be like green flames which roared and cracked as he stood over her. His face was close to hers. He ripped the tape that was covering her mouth off, harshly.

"How about a kiss, huh," he jeered, with a crazed smile, pulling on the handcuffs. He leaned in close to her, she could see all the staples that were holding his face together and flinched.

"For luck," he sang, tilting his head as he did this. She tried to look away, rolling in her lips and shaking her head. He places his hands on her head, gently, slowly brushing away hair and smoothening down frizz. In one sudden and harsh movement, he kissed her. He held her face to stop her from pulling away from him to make sure. A strange sensation rolled down her back, as she squirmed against his lips. It was like electric butterflies were trapped under her skin and trying to break free. He let go of her face when he pulled away and she shivered.

He stared at her for a moment with a manic glare, letting the high of her touch sink in.

"What did you do to me?" she muttered, her voice croaky and weak. Her skin and ears were buzzing from his touch.

His mutilated face creased as he smiled at her with pure madness and evil.

"I think you're starting to like me, Rory," he taunted.

Rory's stomach flipped with fear. No. She couldn't, that couldn't be it. Maybe it was his aura? Maybe his madness was starting to hurt her? She didn't like Jerome, she couldn't be. He was insane.

He put the tape back over her lips almost immediately after he said this. She made eye contact with Bruce Wayne - who had been staring at them the whole time. He was frowning and mouthed something to her, but she couldn't quite make it out.

Then gunshots went off. She turned to see her father. A rush of hope ran through her and she started to violently pull against the restraints. But a sharp pain in her head follows her outburst and everything quickly sank into a mind numbing darkness. The last thing she saw was the face of Jerome, smiling back at her.