Chapter ~Two~

Before I could get to work, or tutoring, I had to survive school. In general, school was a hassle I'd rather avoid. Still, if I didn't do well, I wouldn't be able to get scholarships or get better work later on. The café was only two blocks away, so at least it was a convenient walking distance.

I hung my head down so I looked like any other student and shoved through the packed halls to class. If only it were like the movies, where trouble arrived during class and the teacher could intercept before anything happened.

Instead of making it safely to the room, something pulled me back with a force that sent me sprawling. Kids avoided the scene, knowing too well that this happened often. I looked around carefully, and then decided to get up before I got trampled. I picked myself up but no sooner was I shoved forward. Again, I was on the ground.

Unlike at the café, here, I didn't have to force a smile.

I scrambled to get up and pushed more frantically toward the class. It was in the hall over–in other words, too far.

"Where you running to, Nate?"

Great. I didn't look back but continued forward, trying to make it look like I wasn't running for my life.

I noticed the halls clearing slowly, which also revealed the sound of hurrying steps. I glanced behind and found my pursuers. Sure, they were on the soccer team, but I've been avoiding danger all my life. I swept into class before they could catch me.

Math wasn't a popular subject, so as suspected the few students unlucky enough to be moved to Advanced Algebra resided in the halls until the bell rang and they were forced to enter.

Ms. Richmond glanced up at the abrupt opening of the door. She had brown hair graying at the roots, and metal rim spectacles crowned her hazel eyes. She was by far one of my favorite teachers, and the feeling seemed to be mutual.

"Good morning," I took a needed breath. "Ms. Richmond."

"Good morning Nathan." She put down the papers she was reading and looked at me closely. "Is everything alright?"

I nodded briefly. "Great."

"How's work?"

Again, I found myself wondering, how does everyone know about me? Then I remembered last year. We were given this huge project, involving volunteer work and the percentages from it and whatnot. I couldn't spare the time and reluctantly filled her in on my situation.

"Great." I looked around the room–it was empty. I took a lucky seat on the side.

"Earning enough?"

"Yeah, pay's still good." I thought about something and added, "I'm managing another job now too."

She gave me her full attention. She was like a mother, always understanding and caring. She was much like Mrs. Kenneth, now that I thought about it, but more subdued and quiet.

"Another job? Honestly Nathan, I don't think you can handle it."

I waved her away. "It's just tutoring."

"Who?"

"Some guy named Ryder."

"Ryder Kenneth?" She asked in disbelief.

I raised an eyebrow and nodded. "You know him?"

She chuckled. "Know him? He's my nephew." My jaw dropped. Oh. Oh... "And, he's in this class."