Chapter ~Three~

My shift never really ends when it's supposed to. I'd always stay longer for the extra hours, sometimes not leaving until after the café closes. Often, I'd still be cleaning even after Kristy and her grandmother leave.

But today was different and I was slipping on my usual long sleeved shirt earlier than usual. I got my bags and took off out of the café, determined not to be late for tutoring.

The address Mrs. Kenneth gave me showed that they lived in an expensive part of town. I was panting hard when I came to their street.

Not a lot of houses dotted the sides, considering most were huge and had a gate as well as trees blocking my view. I counted the houses until I came to the last one in a cul-de-sac which lost cars probably used to turn around. They had a gate as well, but it stood slightly ajar so I let myself in.

It was big. Maybe ten– no, fifty times the size of my house, which was a simple flat. The white paint blinded me. I knocked, honestly quite nervous, on the double doors.

Mrs. Kenneth answered. She was wearing one of the many sun dresses I've seen her in at the shop and she ushered me in.

"I'm so glad you found our house, it gets quite confusing down this side of the neighborhood." She led me up the stairs to the second floor and down a hallway. She stopped in front of an ordinary door and whispered, "Thank you so much for agreeing to tutor him. Don't let his attitude bother you, he's actually really glad."

I seriously doubted that but didn't voice it. She pushed open the door and peeked inside for Ryder. He must have been in the connecting bathroom because the door was closed and the shower was running. She shepherded me in and smiled before closing the door, marking her leave.

His room was huge, and by huge I mean about the size of my kitchen and room combined. I sat on the bed and for a moment resisted the urge to press my hands against it as deep as possible. It was one of those mattresses that felt like feathers were stuffed inside, and I was slightly insulted that it barely sunk under my weight. I wasn't that scrawny, was I?

I took my books out and a pencil, deciding to get some of my own homework done before he came out.

It didn't take long. I was on my second page of math when the door opened and he came out in only sweatpants. His hair was dripping and he shook it before he noticed he wasn't the only one in the room.

"What the fuck?" He shouted as he stumbled to his dresser and rummaged for something.

I felt like laughing, but knew better. I covered my mouth that betrayed a small smile. I think he was exaggerating.

He threw the towel that was slung over his shoulder at my face. I fell back on the bed a little dumbstruck. Gross.

"What was that for..." I pushed myself up and picked the towel off my face. He stood in front of me with a glare and his arms crossed over a clean shirt.

"What the hell are you doing here?" He growled.

"Um, tutoring?" I hinted. He frowned before understanding lit his face.

"Oh...yeah." He glowered and went to the corner and slammed down in a beanbag. He was seated in front of a large TV and he pulled out a game controller. He hooked up one of those digital soccer games I've never played or tried to understand.

I cleared my throat to get his attention. He ignored me and pressed start. Music erupted from the attached stereo and he turned it down a notch.