Chapter ~Seven~

"Nathan, are you sleeping?" I heard my name but didn't raise my head. It was too heavy. "Nathan?"

Huh, it sounded like Ms. Richmond.

Wait...my head snapped up. Shoot, I was still in class. "I'm sorry Ms. Richmond. Please continue."

She gave me a worried look as the class snickered at my back. I must have looked exhausted. My chest tickled with the need to cough but I resisted the urge. I rubbed my eyes forced myself to focus on the lesson. Ten more minutes before school was over...

Ten more minutes.

"Remember, if you didn't get it done during class its due tomorrow, first thing. You're dismissed."

Everyone sprang up, including me. My head swam dizzily and I steadied myself with the desk.

I hadn't finished the class work. That meant I either need to get it done at Ryder's, when I still have to do the other homework, or afterward.

"Nathan?" Ms. Richmond called me. I grabbed my bag and walked over to her desk. "What's going on? You should've stayed home if you're sick."

I smiled. "I'm not sick. Don't worry Ms. Richmond; I'm as up as ever. I have to get to work. Bye."

I was out of there before she could mumble a goodbye.

I took off out of the building, time for work.

.~*~. RYDER .~*~. (HAH! DIDN'TEXPECT THAT!)

I looked at my watch. He was late. He was never late, that much I knew.

I thought back to the first time I met him. My mom did that on purpose. She practically dragged me to that stupid café, saying there was someone she wanted me to meet. I thought she meant her friend Mrs. Clair, who I already knew. Not some boy who gave me sudden clarity on the type I found attractive.

I wasn't exactly straight. I was bi, not that anyone knew.

And no way was I letting him know that. His personality doesn't fit him. Who was I to know my mom would suddenly ask him to tutor me? And that he'd be super annoying about it.

I didn't completely mind.

The first time he came by I had totally forgot and came out shirtless. He caught me off guard. I learned he tried not to speak before he thinks but sometimes when I annoy him it escapes.

I couldn't help but touch the cut on his face, and at that contact he jumped back. I was beyond curious as to why he was afraid of swearing and being touched. It was none of my business. He had no reason to fulfill my selfish curiosity.

Especially because I completely ignored him at school. I caught his eye but couldn't go over. He looked at me like I was going to beat him up. Which is valid since I almost punched him for goodness sake, twice, and threatened him. My friends seemed to hate his guts as well.

I hadn't meant to take them to the café. I was complaining about my mom taking me, and they decided to check it out. It was annoying seeing him force that smile as Jason insulted him. Who the fuck did Jason think he was talking to? Was this treatment normal? He was trembling and bleeding, and looked so hopeless.

Then there was today. Had those two been beating him up before? I was a jerk, but I've never really joined one of those incidents. It was just dumb.