Chapter ~Seventeen~

.:~* RYDER *~:.

I loved it when he smiled for real, and that means when he's not faking it like at the café. And when he laughs...ugh, I get happy. If you know what I mean. He started giggling and god, it was so cute I had to walk away just to calm myself.

Then the freaking bitch came. What the hell was wrong with Jonah? What did Nate do? After getting home I called the whole team and sorted things out with them. They were under pressure because Jonah could have them kicked from the team or be sit out. I need to figure something out about that.

Whatever. That didn't matter right now. What mattered was that he opened his door for me and was ready to go, wearing worn out jeans and the usual long-sleeve.

My gaze trailed down his jaw line to his lips. Soft. I can't kiss him. I should wait until he's figured out his feelings. But I could just imagine pressing his lips with my own....

Snap out of it, Ryder.

"How did you find my house?" He asked with a tilt of his head.

"Kristy texted me. What I want to know is how she got my number."

"That girl is crazy." He sighed. "Look, I really have to work today, and–"

"Kristy told Mrs. Clair you're taking the day off." I ratted.

His jaw dropped. "That girl needs her own life. Well...sometimes the drug store downtown let's me work under the table-"

"No!" I interrupted. "You are not working!"

"I need–"

"The money, I know." I plucked two twenties from my pocket and shoved it in his hand. "What's this?" He asked like I was an idiot.

"Money. And that's the before-payment. Since you are obviously against having fun, I guess the only choice is to pay you to hang out. I'll give you the rest after, if you have fun on our date."

He was shaking his head wildly. "No! That's ridiculous. Have you lost your mind? I can't just take someone's money without working for it–"

"I thought you needed the money, and you are working for it, by hanging out. "

He looked me straight in the eye. "I'm not the kind of person to take money like this."

I smiled a little. He was so serious. "I know. Think of this as tutoring, or as an advancement, or like my mom hired you to be my friend. I factored in everything for this date, so you don't have to worry.

His eyes widened and his face flushed deeply. "It's not a... date."

"Right right. You'll be working. It's work. Let's go."

Being the stronger one, I led him gently toward my mom's car. I pushed him into the passenger seat and buckled him in before rushing to my side and driving off before he could get out.

"This is considered kidnapping."

"It's only kidnapping when it's against your will."

"This is against my will. I'm pretty sure I didn't willingly get in your car."

"Yeesh, you make me sound like a dangerous person. Come on, you know you'd rather hang out with me than work." I smiled at him in the mirror. He bit his lip. Haha, I knew that gesture, he was overthinking and knew it was true.