Chapter ~Thirteen~

.~*~. NATHAN .~*~.

But I don't regret it. Whatever he meant, I would have to think about it later. Right now, I was faced with the task of getting out of bed. Somehow, we had ended up just a tad bit tangled. Without waking him I moved his arms away from my waist and got up. I hurriedly put on the clothes I had been wearing when I came here a couple days ago, that he had washed, and was now in search of my bag.

He put it on a shelf.

Where I couldn't reach it.

That was not fair.

I brought over the chair from his desk and was just able to brush my fingers against the strap. I jumped and the bag tumbled off to the ground. It crashed with a loud thud, but somehow, he didn't wake up. Wow, he was a heavy sleeper.

I decided I might as well leave a note for him when he wakes up, just in case he freaked out. It read, "Going to work. Can't stop me. Thank you. Bye." It was quite heartfelt.

I felt amazing. That had been the most sleep I've ever gotten, and the most food I've ever consumed. I felt refreshed and ready to take on extra hours. Plus, I woke up early so I can get a shift in before school started. Another plus, today was Friday.

I practically ran to the café. I wonder if Kristy had needed to work extra because I wasn't there. Admittedly, I feel kind of bad about that. I usually did most of the work, and she rarely came in, in the mornings.

So I was quite surprised when she attacked me as I entered the back room.

"Where in the name of cake have you been? Do you know how worried I was? Did something happen? Oh my god, don't tell me you got jumped by a hobo. I checked your school, your house, your–"

"You know where I live?" I asked a little stunned.

She snorted. "Of course I do. I'm your best friend. Don't change the subject. Where were you? Are you okay?" She was jumping and tugging on my arm as if I was dead. But, that was a little impossible, considering I was standing right here.

"I'm fine." I smiled at her for added affect. "I was sick, and Ryder made me skip work and school."

"Ryder?" She asked in disbelief. "I thought he was evil. Good, I should thank him for keeping you...where exactly?"

"His house."

"For keeping you at his...house...he let you stay at his house?" She screamed the last part. I seriously have no clue why she seemed excited.

"Why are you screaming?"

She shrugged. "I don't know. I guess that's just news to me. I didn't think he was...nice. Or that you knew how to make friends. Did anything happen?"

My mind treaded back to the night before, then the afternoon before, and all the way from when I woke up...I decided to ignore it. Ignore everything. It will only end up confusing me.

"Nothing."

She notched an eyebrow and asked slowly, "Oh really?"

"What?"

"Something happened, didn't it?"

"Honestly, what could happen? It's not like he beat me up."