Chapter 1 : Her

Wednesday, 21st June. A day that arose expectations for me to be happy beyond my limits.
They called it the start of the road to freedom, privileges, rights and liberty...

my village friends did at least. The royals unfortunately have everything more complicated.

"Oh It'll be great Addy, you just have to stop overthinking everything!" Emma remarked, straightening my sapphire jewelled tiara for the 50th time. the repetition of this day had already become quite boring.

I deeply wished I could just leave and spend the rest of my day with my very best friend -Tucker -just like I spent every other morning. Though with him things never become boring.

I imagined how it'd feel if I were with him right now, hair flowing in the pattern of the strong breeze as we raced across the valleys of The Dwarvian lands.

I heard a click as the handle of the door to my chamber turned; it was followed by a clatter of heels entering the room.

I avoided turning my head in case the placement of my tiara was again ruined. Easily guessing who had just entered, I felt two palms placed on my shoulders.

I peaked at her mesmerising appearance through the mirror. Chin raised sky-high and glittering amber eyes placed on a perfectly symmetrical face. It was of course my sister Charlotte.

"I hope you're ready for your special day, mother wants you down in five," her words melodically poured out. Emma nervously interrupted, "I better go check if the food for the banquet is set up."

She left hurriedly knowing that her pointless excuse made no difference.

Charlotte let out a deep sigh, "Adelaide... you don't look the slightest bit cheerful"

"It's just that-"

"It's just that you have to get your act together as soon as possible! You aren't an artless child anymore. You will soon be a representation of our kingdom. On this very event actually. I expect more from you then to pass time with your scruffy steed at the stables and your hang about friends."

"Friend." I corrected, "her name is Emma."

"I don't suppose you've finished your makeup yet?" She addressed completely ignoring what I had just stated. "I have actually."

Enjoying the silence at that moment, I gazed into the mirror.
A beam of sunlight shone through the tinted glass window illuminating half my face down to the collarbone; this made my brown eyes look hazel.

My dark circles were still dimly visible through the thick layer of powder that lay above my pink chubby cheeks; Baby fat that I had been wishing gone since age of 12.
My dirty blonde coloured hair looked a burnt orange under the rays of the sun; it was half tied back by a white satin ribbon leaving two curled strands still hanging by the sides of my face.
Still looking at the mirror, I switched my gaze to Charlotte. I didn't look nearly as sophisticated as she did on her 18th.

I remember it like yesterday, her elegant lavender dress.

On her wedding too, her beauty was astonishing but neither of the days a smile had decorated her face. She looked as though she had lost something dear to her, something she would never be able to retrieve.

After her wedding she became grave and passive. The strong sisterly bond we had full of joy and humour quickly faded; she became 'Lady Charlotte' to me instead of 'sister Charli.'

Charlotte walked in the direction of the door keeping a straight posture before giving me a expectant look to follow.

I held up the layers of my dress before attempting to stand up. I started walking, head down, trying to find my feet beneath my puffy ballgown. I tripped on my heel, luckily not fully falling.

Charlotte rolled her eyes still patiently waiting, holding the door open. The corner of my lip twitched, aching to burst out into a childish smirk as I looked absolutely ridiculous.

However, I was luckily able to control my laughter in-front of this stranger that I had seemed to know much better three years ago.

We walked down the stairs to the ballroom, my white-lace gloved hands gliding down the handrail. Heads turned as we caught eye of the guests awaiting my arrival. I smiled awkwardly.

My eyes darted around the room, trying to avoid direct eye contact with anyone, especially my mother...

The ballroom quickly silenced as me and Charlotte lay foot on the last step of the staircase. We walked along the sombre red rug that lay on the marble tiled floor.

My mother and father stood at the other end of the rug with Charlottes husband; they all carried absent expressions on their faces. Five feet away stood a pedestal that held up an unopened envelope.

It stared at me, pulling me in it's direction. I strode towards the envelope without thinking twice. Charlotte went and stood beside the rest of our family.

All eyes were on me. A quiet mumble echoed through the ballroom as people exchanged tensile looks.

I slowly picked up the envelope devouring the pessimistic thoughts that passed through my mind. I was going to take my time with this. This was the only thing my 18th birthday was getting so greatly celebrated for.

For me it meant either freedom for at least a few more years or taken captive for the rest my life. This envelope, similarly like everyone else's, would become my prophecy once opened.

I carefully opened it trying to put up a pretentious act of carelessness as I did so, careful of the writers and painters that were examining my expressions and would try capture this very moment.

If the sheet of paper inside had remained unsigned by any "gentleman" on his 18th I would be child to liberty. However, if another event occurred,that stated otherwise, my rights and opinions would be snatched straight from my hands.

I slid the sheet out holding my breath, hoping it was empty.
I let out a deep sigh of relief. It was empty.

It was a miracle. I felt a huge weight being lifted off my shoulders.

I placed the empty letter back onto the pedestal; face not smiling but still glowing with happiness. Before letting any mistakes slip from my mouth, I walked over to my mother and consulted as to what was to be celebrated now.

In our kingdom, birthdays don't get celebrated except for the 18th as it creates alliances empowering the realm.

"Mother, I haven't been assigned for a marriage," I held up the blank sheet trying to look agitated. To my surprise she snatched the sheet off my hand, "this can't be!"

I was startled by her sudden reaction. "William!" She called for the castle Stuart. William appeared in a blink of an eye holding another envelope in his hands.

"I sincerely apologise your highness, there was an awful mix up in the envelopes this week but I have the right one here for princess Adelaide."

I turned around the envelope I was already holding and read the name 'Juliet'. Lucky girl. It had been the wrong one after all.

My minute of rejoice had already finished as nervousness continued to roam through my body.

William politely handed me the letter and my curiosity ripped it open without wasting a second. It was signed this time...

Mother looked more satisfied than ever. I read the name out loud, "Hugo Shaw-Griffiths." My heart dropped... The name sounded familiar.

Too familiar.

I wasn't able to figure out where I recognised his name from. The guests had started loudly applauding and began the celebrations for our kingdom creating a new ally.