Chapter 5 : Creating A Prophecy

Time goes by fastest when you least want it to; we were already on our way to Arcania. I had brought Hugo's diary with me and my intentions weren't to return it in any way.

I wanted to read; I just couldn't help it. I turned my body away from Charlotte, whom was sitting next to me and faced the window completely so that she wouldn't notice the book in my hands. I opened to the page where I had left off last night and continued...

I was still to find out to who Eugene could have picked but it wasn't long before that time came. Gladly, our significant difference in age (5 minutes) really mattered. Me being the younger twin, I was ordered to only write the name of the youngest princess from a kingdom. Eugene however, was not pressured with any restrictions. This had me worried but eventually I got to the bottom of things.

I flipped to the third page.

The paper was wrinkled and the writing was smeared as though a liquid substance had been absorbed by the page and blended with the ink.

I flipped to the next page that was readable hoping I hadn't missed anything important regarding the date stated this was 4 weeks after the last time I'd read.

...he was acting strange again; scratching the surface of the wooden dining table with his fingernail whilst his jaw was tightly clenched. Ever since the disappearance of our mother he stays in his bed-cellar away from the world.

Huh?! Had their mother only recently died?

I was glad though that he had agreed to accompany me on my hunting trip this ipevening. Maybe it would help him pass through the trauma. We dressed in black oversized robes in case we got recognised hunting in the tri-kingdom field. The journey there and hunting experience was blissfully uneventful until I happen to stumble upon someone unexpectedly: the women I had chosen to marry, Adelaide!

I held my breath as I read my name. Had I met Hugo before? My brain tried to rewind to memories of every man I met that could possibly be him.

"We're here Ade-"
I was clicked out of my thoughts by Charlottes sudden remark. Her voice suddenly reaching my ears caused a reflex: I flung my body round to face her when one of the photos in the diary flew out and onto Charlottes lap, facing down.

She picked it up off her lap, "What's this?"

"Nothing!" I snatched it out her hands. "Nothing." I sighed in relief again knowing she hadn't seen the photo.

"Umm.. ok? Let's go then." She sang getting off the wagon. I slid the photo back in after taking a quick look at Hugo...

The photo was black and white but I could still vaguely distinguish his features. I checked for the other photo which had the image of the Arcanian royal family. It should've still been in the diary. It was gone!

"Adelaide, come already!" Charlotte operatic ally shouted. I quickly checked around the floor of the wagon for the photo before stepping out onto the maroon carpet laid out for us.

I must have dropped the photo during the journey back from Arcania.