Chapter 31 : Confrontations

At just the sight of Hugo, my heart shamelessly fluttered, face turning a crimson. Before I could bombard him with my questions, I had forgotten every single one just by seeing him after so long.

We were at the opposite ends of the castle garden where the training fields were located; I observed Hugo's figure from afar. Striding in his direction, I called out, "HU-... Hugo?" my voice significantly quietened as I heard the conversation he was busied into.

"Yes, that was Bella who you just met." he said smiling at one of the trainees who were on their horse.

He was smiling as though he had no worry in the world. Smiling as though his wife hadn't 'died' months ago.

"You love Bella a lot don't you." the trainee on the horse asked, grinning back. "I certainly do love her, how could I not..."

I certainly do love her, how could I not.

If I said those words didn't seriously slice my heart in two, I would be lying. I felt more pathetic than ever before. Hugo didn't miss me. He didn't regret any of his actions. He without a doubt didn't love me.

In fact, this was the happiest I had seen him. He was in love. Not with his wife but with someone who I had no knowledge on: Bella.

A turned around to face Arthur who was standing a few metres away, not aware of why I was hesitating to speak to the prince.

Gesturing for Arthur to follow, not before glancing back at my husband who was still oblivious of my presence, I marched back towards the path of the cave.

Arthur ran the distant between us catching up to me, "princess Adelaide why are y-"

"I'm leaving." I bitterly let out.

"W-where to?"
"Noxborne... my sisters kingdom."

I began gather my things and repacking my backpack.

"Your leaving now?"

I nod continuing my task. "B-but what about your marriage...?"

"He wanted me dead... let him think I'm dead." I numbly mumbled.

Arthur stayed silent after that; suddenly enlightened by the dug up wall and skeleton displayed inside. "P-princess... w-what is THAT?!" he pointed at the horrifying site, shock written all over his face.

"That... is reason I'm leaving..."

Authors POV
Adelaide said her goodbyes to the cave one last time whilst waiting in it for Arthur to return from his duties and safely escort her out the castle without being seen.

Meanwhile, Arthur was furiously placing the furniture from the cave, back at the castle. A rage of anger had awoken within him after Adelaide explained everything about the prince to him.

Everything she had read in his diary. Everything he done just for power. Everything he had done to his brother, unveiling what was behind the walls before him. All the sins he had committed leaving Arthur truly perplexed.

The prince whom he had known was humble and selfless and maybe a little preternatural and short-tempered at times but Arthur figured it was was only a small, inherited personality trait he had gained from his father.

However both Arthur and Adelaide still were oblivious to the fact that the body in the cave... was the Hugo's whose diary she'd read.

Arthur restrained every urge to have a go at the prince; he was never one to not point a finger out at wrongness.

To prevent his anger getting the best of him, he avoided the prince until- "have the guards, that went out to kill princess Adelaide's horse, returned yet?" the prince casually asked cutting the single string that composed Arthur from completely loosing all his self control.

That one question and the nonchalant tone it had been asked in had triggered a beast inside him making him forget every reason why he was holding himself back.

The heat of Arthur's hand met Eugenes cheek, his head getting thrown to the side at the sudden harsh impact.

Eugenes own hand trailed up to the reddening cheek as he averted his gaze back to the latter in shock.

"A MONSTER! That's who you are! You find pleasure in killing your own loved ones don't you!? First your brother and then... your own WIFE!"

Eugene froze at the sudden accusations; he would've thrown Arthur out the castle already...if it hadn't been for those accusations actually being true.

"I know everything, EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU TAKING LIVES OF INNOCENTS BECAUSE OF YOUR OWN INSECURITIES. You should be truly ashamed!..." he spat.

The atmosphere stilled, tension so thick it could be sliced with a knife.

"...before you decide to fire me... I resign myself... and if you think I deserved to be killed too... then do it with your own two hands instead of demanding someone like a coward!" with that he began to stomp off before being called back again.

"Arthur... stay..."

Arthur ceased at his steps not expecting those defeated words to leave the prince's mouth.