Chapter 24 : Your traces

My hands were digging through the suitcase in which I buried my diary; I needed to know more. I could barely tell Hugo something so simple, compared to everything else I knew at least, and so, I needed answers.

Last night I was contented; he hadn't said he loved me back or anything but... I didn't need him to. I had fell asleep jubilant, forgetting all obstacles that still lie on my path but those were to be solved later, too.

Now actually, at this very moment. I steadily held it up, assessing the leather of the book before flipping through the pages to find the one I left off at. I reread a considerate amount to go back in touch with the state of affairs that were occurring...

This plan was our fathers idea and I was completely against it at first but after I found it that the death of our mother was due to falling off the stairs whilst racing to accompany Eugene during the period of one of his severe seizures, I couldn't bare to reject fathers demand. Once Eugene was dead, I wouldn't even have to pretend to be him anymore; I could rule as Hugo. And so I did it.

Goosebumps re-scattered across the surface of my skin as I read the last line. He couldn't be that cruel... could he?

A knocked interrupted me from continuing. I hurriedly folded the corner of the page I was on before shutting it close and tucking it back into my suitcase.

"Come in."

"Good morning princess Adelaide." Clara cheerfully sang, placing the tray, of breakfast goods, in her hands onto the bedside table.

"Morning Clara."

I was somewhat relieved that Clara had come when she did. Deep down I knew, I wasn't ready to continue reading.

"Prince Hugo said he wanted to speak to you after breakfast; he's waiting on the training fields." Clara airily stated, dragging a stool to sit in front of me.

Me and her would usually sit and chat during breakfast or lunch, depending on when she didn't have chores around the castle.

Today however, I was more focused on finishing breakfast as fast I could and go find out why Hugo wished to see me. Did he love me back? Would he also confess? Would he... tell me who Bella is?

Authors POV
*This morning*
The royal wagon moved unsteadily as it paced over the rocky pathway. The silhouette of blurred trees could be viewed from the carriage window as the prince gazed out.

Finally arriving arriving back home at his stables to drop the horses off, he stepped out, his eyes catching a familiar figure.

A horse with a chocolatey mane stood, same colour coated as its fur. Instantly remembering where he last saw this horse, the prince didn't waste a second to ask a nearby guard who's horse this was.

"Princess Adelaide had him dropped off here yesterday evening... I remember his name being... Tyler... or Timothy... or maybe Tu-"

"Tucker!" the prince let out, cutting the guard off.

"Yes, that's it your majesty."

The prince began matching the pieces up. Some whoever still did not fit.

*flashback* (in the Prince's POV)
I never liked walking through the side of our garden which held the cave; all the haunting memories came back. Though I knew, it wasn't the end of them.

It never was. This place was always the isolated side of the castle with no guards. I'd come here whenever I needed an escape; somewhat of an escape. Maybe from the guilt of what I had done...

Loneliness however didn't add to one of my emotions on this day, I felt the presence of someone else. Not just the brown horse I had witnessed minutes ago. Someone else was also here, possibly the owner of that horse, that someone was- a village girl? She was creeping around suspiciously.

Unfortunately, due to two occurrences, I wasn't able to see her face: she was turned away from me and today was an exceptionally foggy day. Though it looked like, her eyes had also caught the sight of me as she was quick to speed up and then run away.

I attempted to follow her but then- "Prince Hugo!" A guard shouted in a protesting manner, running up to me. I turned around, irritated. "Prince Hugo, Lord Pho has called for you..."

I gave an annoyed glare, before looking back in search for the intruder. She was gone. "He says it's about your marriage-"

"Ok-ok I'm coming."

A voice inside me was telling me not to alarm anyone else of the girl I had just saw. She may not of been an intruder but I was returning here first chance I get.

-Time skip-

I stuck to my word and now was on my way to the cave. To my surprise, the wall that was built in its defence was all crumbled and so I entered; the intruder must have been in there too at some point.

I broke the promise I had made with myself: to never set foot in this cave again... my eyes went straight to the chest, opening it in a rush on to find the possessions absent.

The diary!

The pictures!

It remained empty except for the cobwebs laced inside the corners. My first initial reaction carried me right outside the cave where I found one of the missing possessions of the chest: a photo of our once happy family; they intruder must have dropped this whilst running away.
*end of flashback*

Authors POV
Adelaides horse, the prince had his eyes glued on at the moment, was indeed the same one the prince had saw that day. A lot of things could have conflicted to prove that statement false.

The prince however was determined to find out if Adelaide was really the intruder that day and so he made his way straight to his chamber encountering his maid Clara in hallway, carrying a tray.

A better idea came to mind at that very moment, "let Adelaide know I want to talk to her after breakfast and am waiting at the training field. Also... make sure she finishes her breakfast." he requested before making his way back down the stairs.