Chapter 28 : Intentions

Arthur's POV (Guard)
My daughter, the most precious little thing she is. The sprinkle of sugar on the end of my day when I come home to her every weekend, I love her the most.

The role I'm given, as a man, to provide and take care of my family: I haven't been able to fulfil it the way I should.

I know I should be more considerate of the fact I have a family and not steal from my jobs to aid the ones that are at less advantage in our village. That being the reason why I was fired from many jobs in the past.

Fortunately for me, life gave me another chance. However this time, I've promised myself that I will satisfy the needs of my family and not contribute in theft nor get fired.

Though, as of now, I do not feel I could keep this promise. As I canter on the castle horse through its gardens looking for the princess that rebelled against the prince's words, I think about my prospect.

I think about how our prince was kind enough to supply for my family and give me a job as a guard and I'm determined to not fail the mission that he has set me on.

"Let's split up!" suggested the other guard as he trotted away on his horse.

Adelaides POV
I bit down hard on my bottom lip, a metallic taste of a red substance filling my mouth as I continue to re-stack this wall.

I'm back here.

The place I first visited when coming to Arcania for the very first time: the cave located in the castles garden. I had changed my direction, pacing anywhere away from the guards as the heart shattering words left their mouths.

Hugo wanted me dead. Though I decided not to think about it anymore; I, myself decided to veil my eyes with a blindfold and ignore the bitter truth.

The wall, secreting the cave that I crumbled through last time, was still indeed torn down. That meant that no one came here or comes here: no one will find me here.

The familiar smell of rainy day dirt aroma-ed through the claustrophobic cave. It wasn't the size of the smallest of room however every passing second felt as though the walls were eating in on me. I sat, reminiscing, on the chest I had once stolen from.

The past week or so I had felt an unnatural attachment towards Hugo and according to the kings words, it was because I had been drugged. Though I wish I had never found that out. I missed the that feeling of euphoria. It was just so ethereal. I missed Hugo.

Time skip(2 months later)

Eugenes POV
The ongoing war roughly had about no affect on me; it seemed to never end. My mind however kept going back to one fact. She was dead. My wife was dead. Adelaide was dead.

*Flashaback*
"Du... did you do it?"
"Yes your majesty, I have killed princess Adelaide with my own two hands."
"And...?"
"And like you asked... in the most painless way possible your highness."
*End of flashback*

I shrugged off the memories, too busy lost in my own thoughts (more important ones). My mother had lost her life... because of me.

Hours before her death, I couldn't be there with her; I was struggling with my own condition. The only person that was there with her at the time was a fraud man. A cheat. My father...

She probably died thinking he loved her, thinking she was the only one, unaware of all his other affairs with women... including Queen Monarch of Debtford.

Died thinking a was a nuisance of a child, a waste of space. The thought always bothered me and so I was glued to the idea of revenge. Beyond doubt, killing the king wasn't going to be easy but for my mother...

but I would take the risk.