𝟏𝟗

Somehow he'd managed to row the boat back across, lazily tying it to the post. His movements were slow and sloppy, and he barely registered walking home.

All attempts to find Minho were gone; he'd given up. So he opted to walk home in the rain, not caring if he got sick.

It was nine p.m. and pitch black outside. Jisung was in his bedroom, sitting idly at his desk, fiddling with the eraser on his pencil. Out in front of him was his sketchbook, open to any empty page. He had no plans to draw; he just felt like setting his stuff up.

It had been five day's since he'd last seen Minho, but he felt defeated. A part of him felt as though he'd never see the boy again, but he had to remain hopeful.

It was embarrassing to admit it, but Jisung's days didn't feel the same without Minho's company. Minho made him feel safe and secure in a way he'd never felt before. He missed that feeling. He missed Minho.

Jisung brought his knees up to his chest, resting his head across them. He shut his eyes, focusing on the soft pitter-patter of the rain lulling him to sleep.

When Jisung returned to the boardwalk the next day, Changbin's boat was still tied up. He let out a sigh of relief. He wasn't sure if he'd tied the rope tightly enough the last time he was there and was afraid it'd come loose. Thankfully, he'd live to see another day.

Jisung did sort of miss seeing Changbin and Yongbok around. He hadn't spotted them since the day of the festival, and that seemed like ages ago. He wondered where they'd disappeared.

He found a nice spot on one of the hills overlooking the marsh, but mainly the mansion. The grass was soft underneath him, and small purple and yellow flowers sprinkled across the ground. It was pretty, and Jisung thought he'd like to share this view with Minho.

Ah. There goes my mood again.

Jisung opted for a more casual look today, since he wasn't sure he'd be meeting the elder anytime soon. He had on a red graphic t-shirt and a pair of jorts. He crossed one leg over the other, balancing his sketchbook on his bare knee.

He fiddled with the bracelet wrapped around his wrist. It was a good fidget toy and helped calm him down when he was anxious. He'd had the bracelet for as long as he could remember, but he wasn't sure who he'd gotten it from.

Jisung was pulled from his thoughts when he heard the crunching of gravel behind him. Someone was approaching.

Out of the corner of his eye, he spotted the person. It was a tall boy with broad shoulders and a narrow torso. He had long black hair, which was pulled tight into a ponytail.

Jisung was sure he'd seen him before, once when he was sketching by the waters. In his arms were an easel and a brown case full of paint. He paused, turning to face Jisung.

He caught me staring.

Jisung quickly returned to his own drawing, trying his best to look busy. He thought he'd gotten away with his not-so-subtle glance but was reluctant when the man spoke directly to him.

"May I?"

Jisung blinked a couple of times before realizing.

Oh. He's asking if he can paint here.

Jisung gave the man a half-smile and said, "Sure."

He thought that was the end of the conversation, but no, apparently this stranger wanted to talk to Jisung.

"I see you draw too." He motioned towards Jisung's sketchbook, which was splayed across his lap. Of course, it was open to his drawings of Minho.

"That boy looks like someone I knew." He began to set up his easel, unlocking the joints and adjusting them to the correct height.

Was there really another person who looked like Minho? Jisung had a hard time believing that.

"He was a great boy." The man sighed, setting down his empty canvas on the easel.

"Yes," Jisung smiled down at his paper. "He is."

He flipped to the next page, where his most recent middle doodles were. He was dressed in the outfit from the night of the party, looking regal and very much in character.

"But I haven't seen him in a week." Jisung wasn't sure why he was sharing this information with a stranger, but there wasn't anyone else he could talk to about it. "I wonder if he's upset with me."

The man began to squeeze paint onto his palate, the colors so bright and crisp. "If he's a friend, talk to him, and you'll be fine."

If only he'd stop avoiding me. Jisung sighed.

"Say." The taller motioned for Jisung to come over to him. "Will you take a look?"

Jisung had nothing better to do, and he was curious what the other's art style looked like, so he nodded.

"Sure."

He had to hold back a gasp when he saw the painting in front of him. It was beautiful. A portrait of the marsh mansion, but taken to another level. The roof was tinted with pinks and purples, and the whole house was composed of patches of bright blues and greens. It was spectacular. Like looking through a kaleidoscope lens.

"Are the colors too messy?" The man bit his lip, taking a couple steps back to analyze his work.

"No, it's wonderful." Jisung could hardly look away from it. This stranger was truly an artist. He wished he could show Minho. Oh, how happy he would've been to see this! His heart ached at the thought.

"I'm Hyunjin." The man held out a hand for Jisung to shake. "I'm in love with the marsh house." He glanced over at the mansion. "What about you?"

Jisung shook his hand, a heart-shaped smile on his lips. "I'm Jisung." He too peered over at the mansion.

"I love it too."

End of Chapter 19
⊱✧⊰

End of Chapter 19◂ ⊱✧⊰ ▸

TBC c:

authors note 2/24/24:
minho come back home pls the kids miss you