12. Melkyal

The Angels of Courage surrounded the perimeter, ensuring no one would get in or out of the house. I looked at the sky. The moon was already making its way down the firmament. It was high time to join Sannarah.

We agreed that we shouldn't go in together. Khaneus seemed like a bright and dangerous type. I doubted he would go down peacefully, and there would surely be some nasty traps at his place. But Sanna insisted on going in first, arguing that I would probably make too much commotion to keep an element of surprise. Well, she was not wrong. As an Archangel of Justice, it was not my way to sneak around attacking from the back. I charged onwards with my sword raised, no matter the danger.

Yet here I was, standing in front of locked doors while Sanna risked her life inside. I waited with my hand on the handle, listening. The silence was oppressing, with no sound coming from the house. It must have been enchanted to keep the noise and dark magic aura inside.

I knocked at the wooden door firmly, expecting a reaction. I had no idea what was happening inside, but this noiselessness wasn't a good sign. Sometimes even such a simple thing as a knock could distract people.

Unfortunately, I did not receive any answer. There were no steps, no hushed voices, nothing. I raised my hand and knocked again for good measure, but I knew it was time for a more drastic approach.

I closed my eyes and reached deep inside myself. The power was there, hidden away under a tightly closed lid. But there was no reason to hide anymore, and I was itching to regain my strength. Not wasting any more time, I wrenched the lid away.

The sensation of all the power released at once was so overwhelming that I swayed slightly on my feet. My senses became sharper, and my body felt whole again. I could finally spread my wings freely. I wished I could jump in the air and feel the rushing wind on my face, but sadly, I didn't have time for that. The work came first.

I kicked the door, which almost fell off its hinges, and walked into the house. At first sight, it looked plain, though elegantly decorated. But as soon as I stepped inside, I was assaulted by the heavy stench of foul magic. I narrowed my eyes and searched for the source, which I soon located.

It was always the basement.

I didn't have time to look for the entrance. I crouched and pressed my hands to the floor, sending a jolt of power down. The wood and stone cracked with a dull rumble. Fissures quickly spread through the hall. I pushed a bit more, and the floor collapsed, leaving a huge hole right over the source of the dark magic.

I waited till the building stopped trembling and jumped into the pit. The basement was dark, and the cave-in dust was still hanging suspended in the air. I drew my sword, let it light up with flames, and looked around.

A huddled form in front of the stairs turned out to be Sanna. She got up from the crouch and brushed off the dust covering her, though it was futile considering the thick grime covering her now. She glared at me.

"Bringing down fricking ceiling?" she hissed.

"I thought you were in trouble," I protested and looked around. "And where is─"

I caught a movement in the corner of my eye, but something hit me hard between the shoulder blades before I could react. The pain erupted and spread through my body like a lightning bolt, and I fell to one knee, clenching my jaw to keep the scream inside.

The man walked out of the pile of rubble; his fancy dark robe was dusted and torn. There was blood on his cheek from some minor scratch, but otherwise, he looked unharmed by the ceiling collapse. His face was a twisted mask of anger, and dark flames danced on his fingertips.