Epilogue

"I need three more plates of pancakes and two tankards of ale!" I shouted at the kitchen door and wiped the sweat from my brows. The tavern was busy today, especially since it was almost noon, and most workers went on a break and searched for some food and drink to let them replenish their strength and get ready for the remaining shift.

It's been two years since the devastating battle referred to as the Fall of Gods, and life was slowly settling down. When we finally assessed the damage, it turned out that nearly half of the city had been destroyed. I was surprised by how fast everyone got back to work. In the face of disaster, everyone united. None of us seemed to care if we worked hand in hand with demons, angels, or humans. There were still people trapped in the ruined houses, fires to be put down and lost children that needed food and shelter.

Still, the first months were a struggle. We were in dire need of more basic supplies like food, clean water and shelter. But thanks to angels' cooperation, we established fast-flowing trade routes on land and in the air to neighbouring towns and cities willing to support us. 

"Children's pancakes!" Mr Booth shouted, bringing me back to the present. His face was red from the heat, and a smudge of flour decorated his nose. He pushed two trays laden with plates into my hands. "They are at the back. Make sure you give this big portion to that skinny kid with a tail. He looks like he needs it."

I smiled gratefully at him and made my way through the busy main room. When a dark-haired toddler bumped onto my knees, I stopped abruptly, almost dropping my plate.

„Woah, look where you're going, little one!" I wrapped my tail around the child when he swayed to help him catch his balance. He looked up at me with huge bright eyes and smiled.

"Sa!"

"Kian!" A winded young woman ran up to us and picked up the child, looking at him with a frown. "How many times do I have to tell you not to run into the main room during rush hours? It's dangerous. You almost tripped Sanna!"

With a giggle, the boy looked at his mother and gave her a big wet kiss on the nose.

"Oh, how can I stay angry at you when you are so cute." The woman tickled her son, provoking another fit of giggles and looked at me with an apologetic smile. "Sorry for that. Arav promised to be here half an hour ago to watch him, but he's late. Again."

"He's working on rebuilding the aqueducts, no?" I asked while waving my tail just out of the grasp of chubby hands. "It's hard work, but it would be a huge improvement for the city once done."

"I know, I know. But Arav only gives Dad more reasons to bicker at how bad a husband he is." She sighed. "I wish they could just get along."

"Well, Mr Booth no longer wants to kill him, so I say it's an improvement." I grinned and waved goodbye to them.

As I moved towards the side door, my chest got warmer at the sight of angels and demons no longer concealing their true forms and chatting casually and enjoying their meals. Some angels, especially those who flew down from Heaven to help rebuild the city, kept to themselves, shying away from humans and demons.

Still, many tables host guests of mixed origins. I smiled as I noticed Buzran trying to impress Amitiel with some fancy card tricks while the angel just rolled her eyes. But a shadow of a smile hinted that she wasn't that bored after all.

I bumped my hip at the door to open it and got out to the small, secluded area that used to be a garden, but now... well, it was in the making. The plants had barely started growing back, and instead of regular chairs and tables, there were empty kegs and wooden stumps. That didn't stop people from occupying every free space.