20.1 Sannarah

When I let the Wrath Demon out, it felt like I fell into the deep, dark well. It was cold and empty but also blissfully silent. But only for a moment. After the initial shock of change, my vision brightened, and I could see the world again, just from afar.

I wished I could close my eyes and ears, but I couldn't. I watched the explosion destroying the square and the painful screams of the injured and dying. I saw crumbling buildings and bodies burned in the dark flames.

I let that happen.

The city was lost anyway, the moment the Mighty One decided the power he had was no longer enough. The comprehension of why the gods who created the world could be so cruel as not to care for it was beyond me.

I watched as the Mighty One called upon the angels and his faithful servants descended from Heaven with weapons raised and battle cries on their lips. In answer, Zurgrun rallied the Fallen, and one by one, they released their horrifying powers meant solely to wreak havoc and destruction wherever they went. Two unstoppable forces clashed, throwing everything they've got at each other, not caring about collateral damage. 

Hell on Earth was here.

Thankfully, I was numb. What was the point of feelings anyway? The world was ending, and we would perish with it. Maybe we were never meant to survive? Perhaps we were made only to serve as entertainment for gods, and once they got bored, they decided it's time to cleanse the world and start again.

"Sanna, I know you are still in there. You must stop this madness!"

My head snapped back up.

Melkyal.

He was standing there, covered in soot and blood, yet he was still the most beautiful sight I've ever seen. I instinctively raised my hand toward him, but the invisible walls around me instantly tightened, threatening to crush me.

Stay down and be quiet, growled the Wrath Demon. You asked me to take over. I can't fight a mad god with you squirming inside.

"Don't hurt him!" I pleaded helplessly. "Do what you must. I don't care about the rest. Just don't hurt Melkyal, and I leave you be!"

The Wrath Demon scoffed. You are such a weakling. He's a distraction. It's because of him you made all the wrong choices!

"Please!"

Fine. But if he keeps getting in my way, I will crush him.

I fell to my knees, deflated. I could only hope the Wrath Demon would keep her word. Once I gave her free reign, I couldn't possibly get out, but I could make her miserable trying.

When the Fallen One was released back to our world, I felt the power shift even in my secret prison. It was as if the air itself charged up after a lightning strike─the energy around us was almost tangible. But what worried me more was that Melkyal did not give up trying.

"Please, please go away," I pleaded, even though I knew he couldn't hear me. A scream of protest escaped my mouth when the Wrath Demon burned him with fire, and I felt the heat of flames on my skin. 

"You promised!" I protested, getting back to my feet. My chest was constricted as I watched helplessly as the events unfolded.

He'll live, an annoyed voice grumbled. Now shut up and watch this. I'll give you something fun to keep you quiet.

And so, I did. The higher the Wrath Demon flew, the more anxious I got.

"What are you doing? The fight is below, on earth!"